Chapter 11

The walls stayed their natural color, grey and dirty

The walls stayed their natural color, grey and dirty. Daria Anderson was carved onto the floor. She laid there with only her dreams to keep her company and her pocket knife for art. She couldn't tell what time of day it was, all she knew was that it was almost time for lunch. The gated door opened with a cling sound, which scared her once in a while.

"Up!" The officer announced.

Daria quickly hid the pocket knife in her pocket and elevated herself once her feet touched the ground. She had never felt such loneliness in a long time, but everyone around her gives her pride. A grin or a smear would appear in all the faces of the women incarcerated, she would grin back. She never understood the reason why they gave her respect but she had her suspicions.

Daria's eyes wandered around as she couldn't bare to look at her cuffed wrists. Orange jumpsuits were on every long hair, short hair, braided headed women. Some drawn with images on their skin and some with bare skin.

The lunch Line was the one time she was able to look at her wrist, as she was forced to grab her tray. Like high school, everyone had their own clique, and for once Daria was alone. Before she had the chance to reach to the table where's she's been sitting, someone addressed her.

"Hey newbie"

Daria turned and faced towards the women who called her, their table was in the middle of the cafeteria. Filled with women with different colored hair, and tattoos all over their body, some with piercings and one small innocent looking girl. Daria walked over confidently but stayed cautious. She laid her tray on the space available and sat down.

"What you in for?" The women asked. Her hair was braided into two small braids and her neck had a name. Adrian. The piercing on her lower lip moved as she talked and the one on her left brow stayed still. Her voice had a sort of attitude sound along with a twist of kindness.

"Well since I'm new, you should know by now. Doesn't news spread fast around here?" Daria responded coldly. The girls around her all stood up, as if offended of her response. Her guess, the one that spoke is the leader.

" Guys chillll, she ain't no problem. Ya'll sit." the women responded. "What's yo name 58?"

Daria furrowed her brows and looked at the number on her jumpsuit. "You just said it didn't you? 58."

"So what I just call you 58?"

"Yup, now is there a purpose in this conversation or can I go back to my table?" Daria stood up and began to grab her tray until the women slammed it down. She didn't flinch, she just took a moment to see her food on the ground and looked up at the women.

"Wow, not even a blink. Yo one tough little girl."

"Woman" Daria corrected. She sat back down and looked at the others.

"The name's piper" She said.

Daria looked at her in confusion and piper continued

"killed someone by putting a knife through their windpipe."