TWENTY EIGHT

Word Count: 1502

~Avia

Stifling a yawn, I stare bleary eyed at the car parked in front of me.

The sun hasn't yet risen, the golden hue of the manor lights spilling out onto the driveway, leaving everyone to squint irritably. Isaiah stands beside me, some of our belongings at our feet. For the first time, it is time for me, as Kenna, to do my job in a foreign Pack. And accompanying me, is everyone else of vague importance to Isaiah, unfortunately.

"We are all meant to fit in here?" Elise question distastefully. Her coat is wrapped tightly around her, fur brushing her jawline. Where we are heading is cold; the Independence Pack, with snow capped mountains and icy winds.

"I can't risk us all going in two vehicles when you're all too important," Isaiah mutters, stepping forward to pop the door open.

This entire trip will be political in nature. Isaiah is consulting with potential investors for a new development happening in the Pack. It's one the rebellion is actively pushing back against, but from where I stand, right now, there is not much I can do about it.

Other than comply, of course. Isaiah wants us all to go, deeming it's not safe for everyone to be away from him when rebellion is flaring up.

"Alright well there better be enough room to nap because it's far too early," Savea exclaims, climbing into the vehicle.

We all follow, but Isaiah stops me before I can step in.

"How are you feeling this morning?" he asks gently, pushing the door so no one can listen in. Not that they care, most of them already bickering between each other, irritated with the hour of the morning they have been forced to wake up. This is going to be a long couple days all stuck together in the mountains.

"I haven't ever been to the Independence Pack, so I'm excited," I say, regardless of whether it's true or not. As far as he knows, I come from a snowy Pack, so this will be like returning home. "But I somehow doubt everyone is going to get along the entire time."

Isaiah glances into the car. "I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about leaving you all in the estate with all these murders. And with Cherry coming, Savea didn't want to miss out, and Mari sort of invited herself."

"At least it will be interesting," I say flippantly, before sliding into the car.

***

We eventually make it to a cabin by nightfall, which is utterly beautiful.

It might be small, which isn't to Elise's taste, but it's stunning, with a magnificent view over the Independence Pack mountains. And most importantly, it's warm, which is a relief, because after clambering out of the car, I had to act as though the snow didn't bother me. In reality I wanted to rush inside, close the door and hope I never have to step back out there again.

"There are three bedrooms in here, which means me, Savea and Chery in here," Mari exclaims, ducking her head into one of the rooms. The best one, if I'm not mistaken.

"Excellent, so Zire and Kenna in that room and Isaiah and I in this one," Elise points out, glancing at the Alpha.

Isaiah's brow creases only slightly, vanishing before Elise has a chance to see it.

Turning, I look out the large window, fascinated by the way the snow drifts down peacefully, coating the tops of far away mountains. I wish it weren't so brutal out there, as I would love to explore and not be stuck with some of the most obnoxious people I've ever met.

Zire stands next to me, nudging my side with his elbow. "Kenna and I will have a lovely time along together, right?"

I watch Isaiah's expression, knowing exactly what Zire is doing. Sure enough, a flicker of annoyance passes Isaiah's pretty green eyes. There is no chance Isaiah is going to let Zire and I sleep in the same room with each other, especially after all the time's he has walked in on us speaking intimately.