Prologue

I just had a sudden writing spurt and so here's some of the story a couple days earlier than I had intended to write it   :)

____________________________________________________________

"Well? Ace?" Her eyes landed on the second person at the glass table from where she sat at the far end. "How'd it go?"

He leaned forward, resting his forearms on the edge of the table. "I think it went well... considering how much time we had."

"Yes..." She looked down at the table. "Well... we are losing this fight."

A moment of knowing silence went around the table before she cleared her throat and spoke up again.

"We will be collecting another group as soon as possible and then be sending them to you to go through." She looked around at each of the four people sitting at the long table. "I want them to arrive back here as fast as possible. I know how hard it was having only a few days this time, but you did well, and I know in the future you will continue to do well."

She turned her attention back onto Ace and his clasped hands. "Who was the most promising of your group?"

"Subject 78324 showed many signs of intelligence. Although we had already suspected that-"

"Zoe?"

Ace nodded his head. "Yes, the girl."

The woman nodded her head slowly, her platinum blond ponytail bouncing with the movement. "And the others?"

"Subjects 78321 and 78323 both showed signs of endurance and strength, while subjects 78317 and 78328 showed multiple signs of loyalty and fearlessness."

"Good," she said before turning to face a dark haired woman with a pierced nose. "And you?"

The woman shook her head and looked down at her bruised knuckled hands which were resting in her lap. "Many of the promising subjects decided to attack. We had to deal with them... They weren't going to do well here."

The woman at the end of the table sighed. "Too bad... well anyways that will conclude this meeting." She stood up and pushed the papers out to the four of them. "We'll collect them, deal with them, and then bring them to you guys. So be ready for another group." She took a breath before looking at each of them and speaking one last time. "We are losing more of them than we are gaining them."