Chapter 5 - Photograph

[(Y/N)'s POV]

My father's wake was held without me. I wasn't even able to say my goodbyes to him. I'm still trying to recover from all the injuries I sustained from the accident. One thing is for sure, my body will eventually heal itself but what I just experienced is something that I'll never be able to recover from.

Almost two weeks have passed and I'm about to be discharged. Yuko is trying to assist me when my mom went into the room. I saw the man he was having an affair with stay outside before she closed the door. Yuko was looking worried and was about to leave me with my mom thinking that we deserve to have some time alone.

"Yuko... Please stay here..."

Yuko went and take a seat beside me.

"Son, are you doing better now?"

"What do you think? My dad passed away and I wasn't even there to at least give him a proper goodbye" I didn't even look at her.

"I'm truly sorry... What happened to your Dad is-"

"Sorry? Are you really? Did you just come here to say that? For what? To ease you of the guilt you're feeling right now?!"

"I-I didn't mean for any of this to happen..."

"You didn't? You had a choice! You could've talked it out with dad! I could- I could've done something! Anything! Aren't we supposed to be a family!? You could've looked for a better way but you didn't!

"Son! I did this for you. I just wanted to give you a better future..."

"Keep telling yourself that! That's what you decided for yourself and I don't want any part of it!"

"Your grandmother is sick! You're still in middle school! There are tons of expenses and I don't know how I can keep up with all of that! Because your dad and I weren't able to, I don't know how long will mother last! She doesn't tell you because you'll obviously get worried. Do you just expect me to do nothing!?"

"But it's still nothing compared to what you did!"

"Son, I just-"

"If you still have any respect for dad, you will leave me alone."

"I don't want our family to end up like this!"

"You should've thought about that before you made your choice! For the last time, please, get out. Please, leave before I run out of the little amount of respect I have left for you."

My mother head outside and brought Yuko with her. After I was discharged, Yuko and I went home. Grandma Atsuko welcomed us home while Yuko was helping me get inside.

"Grandma! Grandma I-"

She hugged me before I was able to finish my sentence. I can't hold back these tears anymore. I cried as hard as I can since I can't keep all the emotions I have bottled up for months now.

"I'm here (Y/N). I'm right here..."

I felt the comfort of her voice. I was able to breathe a little better when she was wrapping her arms around me. After I cried my heart out, we settled everything. We came to terms with Grandma's condition. Yuko decided that after she graduates next month, she will move into grandma's house. She wanted to take care of me and grandma.

Years have passed. I'm already in the 2nd term of my first year of high school and Yuko has a stable job. She helped me get into high school and I work part-time at a café inside a local mall. At this point, grandma is already staying at the hospital. Me and Yuko visit her every day.

"Grandma! I'm here!"

I proceed to hug her and kiss her on her forehead.

"How was your day?" grandma asked with the frail voice she has.