Chapter 07 | Just Me

__

PETER PARKER

__

Y/n laughing was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard, and I hated it.

Why, you ask? Because she wasn't my soulmate, and I was only supposed to like my soulmate.

Uncle Ben and Aunt May were soulmates. They were perfect for each other, and they loved each other like nothing else. I wanted that. I wanted someone who was perfect for me. And Y/n seemed pretty perfect, but was she perfect for me?

It felt like it, I'll give you that. But she probably wasn't. Her soulmate was probably someone who could give her everything she'd ever wanted. Not some dork like me.

Y/n was still laughing at my joke. She found me very funny, and I liked making her laugh.

Was I overthinking the soulmate thing? Did she really have to be my soulmate for us to have something? I knew there were a few people who dated people other than their soulmate, but when their soulmate did show up, they usually left.

Y/n sat down beside MJ and I sat down next to Ned. Y/n bumped her hip on the table on the way down and hissed in pain. I was about to ask her if she was alright when a flash of pain hit my hip. I looked down and nothing was there. I looked back up to Y/n who was rubbing her hip.

It couldn't be.

Y/n Maximoff, my soulmate?

There was no way. I mean, I was just thinking about how it was impossible!

But then how...

"Ned, we have the - we have the thing," I said, standing up.

Ned looked at me confused for a second before nodding.

"Oh, yeah," he said. "The thing. The super important thing. Talk to you later."

We started to leave when Y/n called out my name. I turned around to face her, and I just couldn't help but admire everything about her.

"We're still on for the Star Wars marathon, right?' she asked.

I nodded quickly.

"Of course," I said.

Ned and I quickly walked out of the cafeteria and to an empty hallway.

"What's wrong?" Ned asked.

I took a deep breath before answering.

"Y/n is my soulmate," I whispered.

Ned's jaw dropped and then he started whooping loudly. I shushed him and he stood there shaking like an excited puppy.

"Why don't you tell her?" Ned asked.

I sighed and shook my head.

"I can't," I said. "She's - she's Y/n Maximoff. She's pretty, she's funny, she's kind, she's cool... And I'm... I'm just... me."

Ned sighed.

"True," he said.

"Ouch. Thanks, man," I said, slightly hurt.

"Man, you know I'm joking," he said seriously. "You're Peter Parker. Sure, you're not that cool or popular, you aren't famous, but you are funny, nice, smart, and at least a seven out of ten looks wise. Besides, you're also Spiderman."

I nodded softly.

"I - I guess I just want to see if she'll like me for me, and not just because I'm her soulmate," I said.