7 | the grinning nightmare

Pyxis

Pyxis

Carina talks in her sleep. Normally of course this isn't information I would know — obviously — but, lying sprawled out on the floor covered by the rug, I can clearly hear her mumbling something, but I'm not going to try and make out the words. After all, I'm not creepy.

Although Scorpius didn't care when he told me that the floor was my designated sleeping spot and he got the other bed. Doesn't really matter though. I don't really think the bed's any more comfortable than the floor, though I've still not been able to fall asleep.

However now this really doesn't matter, since a sudden, shrill scream pierces the silence. Automatically, I jump into a sitting position, the Darktales doing the same only moments later.

"What the fuck was that?" demands Scorpius, sliding out of bed and darting to the door, where he puts his shoes on. "Stay here," he calls over his shoulder. "I'll check in with Caprice's room."

As the door closes behind him, Carina and I are left in ominous silence. It can't be a coincidence that now there is a deathly scream. It sounded ... so terrifying. Like the person who screamed had seen the worst possible sight there could be. I glance over at Carina, briefly noting that her bedhead is actually quite pretty, before coughing lightly and starting a sentence, just to dispel the silence. "I thought he hated Caprice."

Carina might just look thankful for my empty, echoing voice, as she responds, "He does, but he at least takes Caprice seriously. Tauren is a big joke to him and Vienna's a sociopath."

I snort at Carina's summary. "Isn't Aqualia the sociopath?" I think she's not, she's just edgy.

"Nope," Carina slips out of bed to sit cross-legged on the floor. "It's all just an elaborate frontier. Vienna, on the other hand. I mean, she hits people she's affectionate towards."

I shrug, already hearing someone's footsteps pounding down the corridor. "Don't all of the Deadsouls do that, though?"

Carina chuckles. "Maybe. The only difference between Sagitta hitting Ari and Sagitta hitting me, is that Sagitta adores Ari and wants to see me die in hellfire."

Scorpius busts the door open at that exact moment, a weary look on his face. "Get up, we're leaving."

"Why?" Carina protests immediately, as I stay silent to avoid the older Darktale's wrath.

"I said get up, Carina," Scorpius snaps, his nerves clearly frayed. "I'll explain to you as we go. I'm not fucking with you."

As Carina gets up, wandering over to the door, she inquires, "Are we leaving with everyone, or just us three?"

"We'll make our way to the city perimeter, wait for the others there," Scorpius explains briefly, annoyed at his sister's questions. I mean, I have the same questions, I just don't dare to ask them. I also know that Carina is simply being annoying in asking these questions. And, as predicted, Carina fake pouts. "But Scorpsy. That's the forest. It's creepy."