26 | warren

[ me, an empath, sensing that some of you are upset with the last chapter...

anyway, i feed off ur pain and i'm a meanie so sorry about that. but that was the trade off for having derek not cheat on willow/leave her for jennifer.

this is just a little filler chapter. i don't super love it given what happened — even though i'm the one that made it happen. but it moves a few things into place before continuing on with the show ]

☽︎

the funeral wasn't for boyd.

[ no episode relation ]

"Where the hell have you been?"

That was the first thing that Derek heard as he slid open the door to his loft. He held back an annoyed eye-roll as he spotted Peter sitting on his couch, a book in hand.

"Go home, Peter," Derek ordered, wanting to be alone.

"No, I don't think I will," he said with a touch of attitude in his tone as he shut the book. "It's been more than a week, Derek. You can't run off like that without your phone, especially with the Alpha pack and Darach still out there."

"You know I needed... time," he said, clenching his fist. "You and Cora both know what it's like to lose a pack member. Now imagine that it's your fault they're dead. The others will understand."

Peter tilted his head and studied Derek. There was a lot of news to dump on him, and Peter was trying to come up with the best way to do it. Perhaps it was best to just rip the bandaid off, but Peter couldn't help toying with him.

"You missed the funeral," Peter said, sighing.

Derek shook his head as he stared at his feet. "I didn't deserve to go. Not when I'm the one that killed Boyd."

Peter's next words had Derek's head spinning.

"The funeral wasn't for Boyd."

☽︎

Willow Worthington cried a lot. It was one of the hallmarks of her personality. And since being introduced to the supernatural world, only a handful of days ever went by without tears from the girl.

But Willow couldn't cry anymore. She didn't have the energy to do it anymore. She cried when they found him. She couldn't stop crying at the funeral. Even slow tears escaped in all the meetings to settle her father's affairs.

But as Willow laid on her bed, staring up at the dim glow-in-the-dark stars on her ceiling, her exhausted eyes ran dry.

"You know you've gotta eat something eventually today."