39.

Maheen made her way across the courtyard towards her chamber. Ignoring the pain in her leg, Gehna who was calling her name and the greetings people threw her way as she walked pass them.

All she could think of was her doomed future now that Dev was back.

"Slow down Maheen." Gehna called out to her as she too ran behind Maheen. "Your leg is still healing you -."

"I need to talk to Aditya."

"And you will, just slow down or you'll hurt yourself."

"Gehna you don't understand. It's all over, he is back and now .. I .. I can't."

"Maheen nothing is going to change. Aditya is a grown man and he is wise and mature and -.."

Maheen ignored Gehna and pushed the doors of her chamber and entered inside.

"Aditya ... Aditya." She called her voice cracking.

"Adit-." Maheen stopped as she saw him walk out of the study looking panicked.

Maheen rushed towards him and flung herself into his arms. She held on to him tightly, cluttering his kurta in her fist. She shut her eyes closed and a sob left her throat.

"Ma..Maheen what's wrong ? Is your leg hurting ? Should I call the doctor." He said panicked.

He tried to pull her away but she held on to him tighter.

"What is wrong Mahi ?" He asked gently stroking her hair. "Gehna will you tell me ?" He said looking behind Maheen to see Gehna standing at the door looking at her friend sympathetically.

"I think I should go, Maheen will let you know." She said stepped outside the room and closing the door behind her.

"Maheen you have to let me know what's wrong. If you keep crying like this I won't be able to help you." He said pulling her away from her successfully.

He held her arms as she looked at her. She looked adorable with her red nose and flushed cheeks, she had overshadowed her beauty buy any jewellery or makeup and Aditya looked at her softly, she looked so vulnerable.

"Come sit down." He said guiding her towards their bed and making her sit. He bent down in front of her and took her hand between his.

"Will you tell me now what's bothering you so much ?" He asked.

"Ad..Aditya he is back." Maheen croaked.

"What are you saying Maheen.. who is-." Aditya stopped mid sentence, he knew who 'he' was. He knew Dev was coming home, he had to tell Maheen himself, he had carelessly forgotten.

"Dev." He whispered and Maheen stiffened.

"I.. I don't want to see him." Maheen hiccuped.

"Maheen... it's going to be okay."

"No.. no please. He will ruin everything Aditya, he will tell Mohini and Rani maa and then everyone and they wouldn't look at me in the same way they did and I .. you .. I don't want this Adi he will ruin whatever I've built and -."

"Maheen !" Aditya shut her up. "Nothing of this sorts will happen. You have me, I'll make sure nothing like this will happen. I promise Mahi." He said holding her hand tightly.

Maheen looked at him with puffy eyes and nodded.

"Now do you want to have lunch ? I'm starving !"

•••

Aditya had tucked Maheen to bed, all the excretion she had put her foot through had made the healing undone.