第36章 - Talented

"Megumi, there are times when you can't save someone you care about no matter how strong you are" Megumi wrinkled his nose and furrowed his brows in confusion

"Megumi, there are times when you can't save someone you care about no matter how strong you are" Megumi wrinkled his nose and furrowed his brows in confusion. He turned to look at Hiyori who was pouring tea into a teacup. The rich aroma of whatever-fancy-tea-brand-she-was-drinking flooded his senses. The steam from the hot tea perforated through the air.

"What do you mean?" Megumi asked in confusion. Hiyori handed him the cup of tea. He took it from her and winced slightly at how hot to touch it was. He stared down at the tea before his green eyes peeked up to look at Hiyori who had a sad smile on her face. "If you're strongest then can't you save all the people you care about?"

"Not always" Megumi wondered if Hiyori hadn't been able to save someone before. Maybe that was why she looked so sad when she said those words. Her eyes held wisdom that someone who was only fourteen shouldn't have.

"Have you ever been unable to save someone?" He couldn't help but ask. The question lingered in the air and the longer it did, the more Megumi wanted to take back the extremely personal question he asked. He wasn't usually the type of person to cross boundaries like this but he was just far too curious. There was a pause before she finally spoke. Her voice was soft and full of something Megumi had never heard in her voice before - grief.

"I have."

"The night that gave me my title was the night that I learned that no matter how gifted I am, I still can't fight the chains of fate...yet" She said before taking a sip of her tea. Megumi's lips parted in shock. He wasn't aware anyone died that night. All that was ever mentioned was how Hiyori had annihilated an army of curses. What was she talking about? What happened that night? Who died?

"No matter how gifted or how prepared you think you are, there will come a time where you are unable to save someone whether it be because of fate or because they just don't want to be saved"

Megumi laughed, recounting what she had told him when he was still a second year in junior high. Back then, he had been so blissfully unaware of the true horrors that being a jujutsu sorcerer entailed. He was so naïve to believe the stories Satoru and Hiyori told about their missions. They never brought up anything regarding the worst part of the job - seeing people die before your eyes and not being able to do anything about it no matter how hard you trained and how strong you got. 'Unable to have someone, huh?'

He finally understood what she meant now.

The memory of Yuji's smile before his brown eyes closed for the last time and he fell forwards onto the concrete right haunted Megumi far more than a curse ever could. He hadn't even been able to sleep last night because all he saw when he closed his eyes was Yuji with a hole in his chest from where his heart had been so easily ripped out by Sukuna.

"Megumi, live with no regrets...okay?"

Megumi slammed his fist on the wooden floor of his dorm room. He tilted his head back to lean against his comforter. His green eyes shifted to look at his ceiling in hopes that it would ease the treacherous reminder of Yuji's stupid smile before he died. Megumi didn't know how long he had been sitting here silently. He just couldn't bring himself to do anything.