Chapter 32: Who knows?

"We have arrived, Young Master, Your Highness." 

The sound of the head butler, Hayward's voice was heard as he knocked on the carriage, informing the two lads inside the carriage as soon as it stopped in front of the mansion. Ashton gently closed the book he was reading and uncrossed his legs, preparing to exit the carriage, of course, waiting for the prince to step out first. The white-haired lad who has been staring outside the window the whole ride was the first one to know that they already reached the estate. 

The ride wasn't awkward since the two have known each other ever since they were kids, being the heir of the most important families that rule the Empire and all, but that also doesn't mean that they were friendly enough to talk to each other about things that don't involve important businesses hence there was only silence for they are both known for being quiet and perceptive. Besides, they may not say it out loud but neither of them is willing to be in a closed space with one another, just a mere coincidence that Ashton arrived the same day as the Prince who came from the Northern Kingdoms. 

And they were both going to the same destination. That is the Arkwright Estate.

As soon as Ashton stepped out of the carriage, a hint of disapproval was displayed on his face. He immediately knew something was wrong. He is for certain that the people inside the mansion were informed about him coming back home with the Prince since he made sure to tell Hayward to deliver the message that morning before they departed. But the servants who went out to greet them looked nervous and somewhat bothered. They may think that they are doing a good job hiding their emotions, but a little bit of information is enough for the oldest child to know. He's pretty good at reading the room after all. 

"You're back a little early, brother." he turned to his right where the voice of his younger brother came from. Judging by how the young boy looked at the moment, he figured that it was indeed about the lady.  He knows their youngest, and he is not the type to lose his composure, unless of course, if their sister is involved. 

"I was just about to call you," Ciel added, bowing a little at the Prince who returned his gesture with a nod and glancing at Hayward as a form of acknowledgment which the old man replied with a respectful bow.

"Is it a matter beyond your means?" Ashton asked and the youngest just nodded his head. His face formed a slight grimace for a second and looked at the second Prince standing next to the raven-haired boy. "I hope you're faring well, your highness."  

"You should ask your brother that question." the second prince told him, "But I am fine, thank you." he then looked at Ciel whose face was looking like a sick patient. He has been leading the search for more than three hours and he still hasn't taken a breather and the young prince concluded that if the boy had many stress factors, the biggest one would be his sister, she would be the death of him and that is not a joke. 

"I've caught a gist of the situation." Ashton started talking again when the crown prince suddenly stepped back, looking in the direction of the path leading around the estate. 

"Is there something the matter, your highness?" asked Ciel who stared at the man curiously.

"...something..." the prince answered, akin to a whisper that the people present weren't able to comprehend what he said. He gestured for them to proceed inside the mansion before leaving, trailing the path with the same curiosity that the spectators had, as they watch him walk away. 

The others just let him be, knowing that there was a more serious matter at hand. 

"What did she do this time?" Ashton asked as they walked through the front doors.

"Nothing," Ciel replied flatly, they were greeted by Mariel accompanied by Avy's personal knight and other maids who just stood there fiddling with their hands.