chapter 55.

lv.

jungkook groaned for the nth time at the robotic voice coming out of his phone. it was the fifth time he had heard the same voice on repeat and it was starting to make him lose his mind.

"the number you are calling is currently not available. please try again later."

he found it strange how he wasn't able to reach the person he was trying to call. it was starting to concern him if something had happened to her but he didn't want to have any negative thoughts.

it was unlike minjee to not give any responses and it has been three hours since he last texted. the longest it would take for her to reply was around an hour. jeon jungkook took no time to give her a call only to be greeted by that stupid robot voice speaking in her place.

maybe she was busy? no, it couldn't be since it's the holidays. maybe her phone battery ran out of life? that was a possibility but he wasn't sure either.

jungkook bit his lower lip as he heaved out a sigh before placing his phone back inside his pocket as he continued searching for drinks for tonight's celebration for new years. time was trickling so quickly and it was already the last day of twenty-nineteen.

catching sight of a couple of beer cans in one aisle of the convenience store, he grabbed a bundle of them to be shared with everyone who will be coming. after scanning the items and paying for them, he left the store and searched for a familiar black car driven by his roommate, jung hoseok.

for tonight's activity, the boys and girls have planned to meet up at namsan tower, where they would watch the firework show and countdown with many other people for this special night.

everyone seemed to be joining, but jungkook was a bit bummed out since he believed choi minjee wouldn't be coming. the male checked his phone once more, only to find it filled with his instagram and twitter notifications from his fans. not one was from the girl he was expecting.

a honk from a car snapped him out of his short trance as he climbed in the vehicle before leaving to their destination. knowing jungkook since high school, hoseok knew when something was bothering him so he cleared his throat and turned down the music. "everything good?"

the younger adult stayed quiet.

"jungkook?" hoseok repeated. seeing him out of it was a little amusing but he wondered what caused him to be that way. "why are you so unusually quiet? aren't you excited to be meeting her again?"

hearing this, jungkook's eyes widen slightly as he turned his head so fast he was sure he got a whiplash. "minjee is coming?" he almost screamed, sounding excited yet nervous. hoseok could tell from the way he spoke and this just proved how the younger male was already in love.

"of cou—" he paused, remembering how taehyung said not to tell him about the surprise. "—i mean uh, minjee? i was talking about... yoona's pet dog?" he blurted instead, his voice arching upwards towards the end of the sentence like it was a question more than an answer.

jungkook's face wavered as he sighed disappointedly and looked away towards the busy streets of seoul through the window. "...yoona doesn't even have a dog. minjee would have known cause they're roommates."

"oh— i didn't know that ahah," hoseok laughed awkwardly, his eyes trained to the front as he drove carefully (or maybe because he wanted to avoid eye contact with the younger).

the rest of the ride was spent with short exchanges. the sound of the music playing was easing the atmosphere. as soon as they arrived, jungkook and hoseok took the drinks out and went to their meet-up point. the rest of the group was already there sitting on a large blanket on the floor as if they were having a picnic a few meters away from the tower. they were laughing and talking having a fun time and this made hoseok pout as he was last to arrive, feeling like he missed all the fun.

while wasting their time waiting for the clock to strike twelve, a couple of conversations were spoken from one person to another. the topic was mostly about the new couple in the group.

min yoongi had stated how he predicted this would happen from when they first met despite eri and jimin sending death glares to each other. he said it was pretty obvious which earned shocked expressions from everyone else, jimin and eri included.

while the others were talking about the new couple, yoona secretly nudged her boyfriend, who was peacefully eating a croissant, and signaled him with her eyes. she kept looking at namjoon and the tower and back to him before tapping her wristwatch. it took kim seokjin a couple of seconds to decipher what she was saying.

with one last bite of his chocolate croissant, jin extended his leg and nudged namjoon's shoe with his own, catching the buffer male's attention. jin looked back and forth between jungkook and the tower with small tilts of his head occasionally, and namjoon immediately understood.

"right! i want to go up the tower to take some pictures, anyone want to come with me?" he offered, smiling, his deep dimples appearing.

taehyung grabbed jungkook's shoulder, "kook can go with you, i want to take some pics here with ara and hobi hyung." he gave the purple-haired male a grin before grabbing a confused choi ara off the ground and dragging her elsewhere, hoseok following behind.

namjoon stood up and smiled innocently, "let's go, jungkook."