XXXVIII

Leaning against the door of the Operating Room, you stare at your shaking hands, trying your best to avoid looking at Shinichiro's form by the bed, left there by the nurses for a few minutes for the family to see one last time before he's moved somewhere else. Your trembling hands feel cold after you've held his hands not that long ago. Trying your best to cherish the last moments that you'll be able to hold him but it only saps away the memories of warmth that you've always associated with him.

"You should rest for a bit. Grandpa and I will take care of things, okay?" Wakasa whispers as he wraps you up in his arms, unsure of what to do since you've been motionless ever since the doctor left. You've been quiet for so long that it's starting to worry your cousin.

Even the kids have gone to sleep by the benches while grandpa sorted out the papers.

All the while, you've been staring at nothing.

"Y/N, please. You're exhausted. You have a concussion too. You need to rest." cupping your cheeks, Wakasa makes you look at him, his eyes making contact with your empty ones. "At least talk to me... I'm scared. I know we're all hurt about what happened just a few hours ago but please... talk to me." He takes your hands in his, squeezing it, trying his best to comfort you but it seems that it only makes things worse as your eyes start to water.

"Waka..." You sob out, hands squeezing him in return as you shakily raise your hand. "Waka, he just proposed to me... he proposed to me Waka. We were going to get married... we were going to get married, Wakasa."

Your cousin freezes as he spots the ring on your finger, shining under the light of the hospital hallway, looking so out of place in this drab place. The sight of you crying, trying your best to put on a smile as you glance at the ring, absolutely breaks him. It makes his skin prick as you lose all strength in your body, form falling onto Wakasa who readily embraces you as your sobs wrack your body. Uncontrollable and intense.

"We were so close... so close to our dreams, Waka. I was so happy when he proposed, I was so happy. I thought that we'd finally have everything. He made me cry so much when he proposed, told me he wanted me to be in his future. Told me he wanted me to help him achieve our dreams. With his dreams... but why'd he leave?" Your hands unconsciously grips onto his shirt, balling up the fabric in your fists as you try to control your breathing. "What am I gonna do? How am I gonna go on, Wakasa? He was supposed to be in my future. He was supposed to be with me... how are we supposed to reach our dreams now? How are w-we supposed to adopt Iza... na..."

As if a switch is turned on, your body freezes. Tears coming to a stop as you stare up at Wakasa with fear and disbelief. "I need to tell him. I need to tell Izana and Kakuc-"

"Y/N, you need to stop. You need to rest before you make rash decisions-"

Tearing yourself away from him, you look at your cousin in disbelief. "Rash decisions?! Wakasa, Izana is Shinichiro's brother! I can't just keep this away from him. He needs to know! I can't just lie to him-"

"I'm not telling you to lie to him, okay?! I'm just trying to help. I'm just telling you that you need to rest, clear your head. You're not well. You're not okay. You're distressed-"

"Wakasa. After what happened tonight. Do you really think that I'm going to be okay with just one sleep? That I'm going to be well after a 30 minute nap? My fiance just died and now I'm trying to get ahold of his brother. So please, just leave me be. If you want to help, then take care of the kids. Look after them while I'm gone. You've been such a big help to me all these years and I'm sorry if I'm being unfair right now, but this is what I need to do. I can't leave Izana in the dark-"

"Izana? You know where my big brother is?"

Your head whips to the side, eyes making direct contact with Emma's honey orbs. Alongside her is Manjiro who's tightly holding onto his younger sister's hands. "He's the person that Shin-nii told me about, right? He's our other brother?"