177: bowel

"You did," Amber whispered tightly.

They were at the roof terrace, one that she did not know they had. It was a semi-open area with the most breath-taking view. The sky was soaked in pink and blue from the falling sun, and the terrace overlooked a sea of flickering, buzzing night life. Despite the growing darkness that swathed the area, the place was well lit. The trees were studded with stars and fairy lights spinning over metal, and dinner was placed upon a long white table with artfully arranged candlelight.

"Nice place by the way," Miri said nodding her head towards the swimming pool. "Shame that it's too cold, I guess you can only use it in the summer." Her best friend seemed to have read her mind, and Amber made a face nodding in response. She would love to take a dip.

Amber had called their dormitory a condominium, but her soulmates had corrected her quickly. A penthouse, they said. The one at the top floor with a pool. She had gaped at them then, having missed the chance to get a proper tour of their place. They promised they would show her around later. Seriously...Amber shook her head. They had a rooftop pool. A damn pool. She eyed the strip of illuminated blue, the waters cool and inviting as it lapped at the edges.

"Oh, the pool?" Casper raised a brow. "You can swim in it, we got it fitted with heating. The water's warm," Casper shrugged and Amber gapped at him. Heated water? How much did their electricity bills cost? "It's difficult for us to swim in public, so we begged our company to get us one with a private pool. Would have preferred something bigger with a slide, maybe a deeper end but..."

He shrugged then as if having a pool was nothing too big. Rich people. Her mind jolted, reminding her that Casper was the son of a rich family, one that wasn't too pleased with his career choices. She gulped. Nah, let's not think about that yet...

"You don't swim much?" Amber asked.

"Hm? Sometimes. Hikaru's the one up here most of the time, he likes gardening." Casper pulled her gently to the corner, pointing towards a plastic shelter behind the trees. "That's his garden, if you wake up ridiculously early you can find him there." Amber hummed, nodding at his words. That was interesting. She made a mental note to head up here to search for Hikaru. "Actually...JieMi's the one who swims a lot." Casper admitted after a while.

"I see," Amber replied softly. He seemed the type to be athletic. "I've been wanting to ask if he's alright with me here. I haven't seen him around yet."

She swallowed nervously, feeling a little odd to be talking about JieMi, but she was a tad worried for him. Amber knew that his defiance had made him an annoyance to the group, and she could sense the tension in the air whenever they were reminded of him. Still, they were a team, they were best friends, and colleagues. It sucked that her fallout with him would destroy their relationship like this. And she felt bad for taking over JieMi's home, for literally chasing him out of the house.

"He'll be fine, don't worry love. He promised to cooperate." Cooperate, the word seemed so mechanical and painful. "He's a grown man," Casper soothed, rubbing her arm. "He can take care of himself." And he was right, JieMi was a grown man, a guy who was a whole year and a half older than her. Amber decided to drop the topic with a soft sigh.

"When is the food ready?"

"Are you hungry?" MinJae popped up from behind them, blonde hair glowing in the darkness. Then his thumb was on her lips, pushing something warm and soft into her mouth. She let him, eyes widening in surprise as she chewed. The crumbly, honey taste of sweet potatoes spreading across her tongue. She hummed in approval and he giggled, popping another piece into her mouth. "Cute."

"I can feel the difference in level of service here," Miri commented cheekily. "The preference is obvious." MinJae blushed shyly at her words, frantically breaking off a chunk from the wedge he had in his hands.