232:FACE IT

Ha-Eun had leaped into his arms, pressing her lips to his for a kiss. He'd refused to reciprocate that kiss, forcing her to turn it into a peck as she burrowed into his chest, rubbing her breasts over him as she straddled his hips. He would have grown hard in the past, too pent up from Soul Yearning to care whether or not the girl on his dick was his soulmate or not. But not anymore, JieMi was a changed man after a taste of heaven.

He and his cock were loyal subjects to only one queen.

"You're always so busy, it's rare for us to head to school together like this, isn't it?"

Her voice had been sickly sweet, drizzled with so much honey that it made his stomach turn and flop about with disgust, but he had to pretend. He gave her a smile that he hoped was enough to sooth her concerns, a smile that he'd give the media on his bad days. The fuck-you-but-I'm-nice smile. Ha-Eun faltered at the sight of it and panic fluttered in his chest.

He knew he was being different; he knew he was nothing like the over-protective boyfriend she once had. The one that bowed down at her feet, the one who allowed her to use him as her personal punching bag. He hoped she would chalk it up to his depression, to his inability to give a fuck about anything in the world, instead of his loss of interest for her. But he had to be sure.

"I'm sorry for neglecting you," he'd soothed, fingers running over her back as she leaned against his body. "I'll make it up to you. I promise." He fibbed sweetness, brushing her hair out of her eyes, words that he forced out of his throat. And he tried to imagine that it was Amber before him, tried to imagine that he was with his soulmate and not Ha-Eun. It must have worked because his gaze grew instinctually warm as he kissed her cheeks, actions that he only did with Amber.

Actions that came naturally because of love.

It was too damn late before he caught the dart of movement, and he glanced up to see Amber. His Amber. God fucking damn it. His heart had sped, frantic, hysterical, horrified. Why was she here? He met her eyes, caught those gold orbs with his and god... His angel's expression was strange. A tinge of hurt and a burn of pain, pain that he'd long learnt to recognize. It was the prick of betrayal that ran across her face that stabbed his insides. It was the bubble of hurt that twisted his guts. It was the glisten of tears that broke his heart.

He felt like a cheater.

His heart had grown cold and heavy, so damn heavy that it fell deep into his stomach as nausea filled his throat. His breath caught and he choked, lost for words, unable to speak as the bond between him and his soulmate, beautiful and electrifying, tasted too sweet and too overpowering with the third-party in his arms.

He'd felt like shit then, like the worst soulmate in the world.

He tried to push Ha-Eun off, stretching to show signs of discomfort, but she'd clung on. Her eyes turning to stare at the intruder. Ha-Eun had wrapped her arms around his neck then, and the words she'd spewed had chilled him to the bone.

"Get the fuck out of here," she'd snarled. "Can't you tell that this room is occupied?"

And the love of his life flinched, stepping back with a soft whisper of apologies on her lips. Words he didn't want to hear, words he didn't want to see. He knew what she was thinking, that she had to be strong, that this was all for him. That JieMi was only doing this because he didn't want Ha-Eun to destroy their lives. That he was doing this for them.

But it didn't feel like that at that moment when JieMi had his arms around Ha-Eun, his nose filled with the festering scent of her perfume. It didn't feel like that when he watched Amber tremble and stare. It felt...It felt as if he were betraying her. The pain that blossomed in his chest burned and burned. It burned so hard that he considered at that moment, just coming clean with Ha-Eun and leaving her for good.