chapter nineteen

Haven stretched real good as she made an obnoxious sound; she looked at her face in the mirror as she did every morning because she couldn't believe it every time she looked.

Her black eye was finally in the process of healing, so most of the swelling had gone down; she iced it whenever she could and also rubbed the cream Genesis gave her. She used the bathroom and brushed her teeth, then went back to laying down.

She saw Ezra on the phone, but he was sitting up, meaning he muted her and he was playing the game.

She put him on pause to check her messages.

"You up, baby?" Ezra asked, making her chuckle; she didn't even know he was paying attention.

"Yes, just woke up."

"Merry Christmas, pretty girl."

"Merry Christmas." Haven slightly smiled.

She loved Christmas, it was her favorite holiday, but it didn't feel like this year. Her face was ugly, this would be her second year without her mom, and she just wasn't in the spirit.

"I'll be over there at six, seven at the latest," Ezra spoke, making Haven look at the time to see it was 1:15.

Ever since Ezra was a kid, he, Keygan, and Tyke came over for Christmas dinner. They missed last year because it was their first Christmas without their mother, so they thought they should enjoy it privately.

This year was going to be lit.

"Hey, E, your mom says come eat brunch." She heard Regina say, making him nod.

"Let me call you back after I eat."

"Hay, breakfast ready."

"Okay," Haven said to both Indigo and Ezra.

She stood up to stretch again then walked into her slippers. She went downstairs to see Genesis had made a big lunch, her stomach instantly growled.

"Are we waiting for Flaire?" Haven asked as they sat around the table.

"She not here," Devon spoke.

"Let's eat then," Indigo said as they did their prayer.

~

Flaire got out of the shower seeing Keygan on the game, making her roll her eyes; every morning, he was on the game yelling like he didn't have any damn sense.

"This nigga in a jet! Oh shit!" He yelled, jumping back on the bed.

"Here I come," Tyke said as they started triple-teaming another player. "Yeah pussy!"

"That's why my ancestors had y'all niggers bent over on that plantation." The little white boy yelled, making Tyke start rolling.

"That shit not gon make me mad." Keygan laughed. "I'll drag these black ass balls all on your mother's face."

"Have your father picking grass to make up for that shit," Ezra added, making all of them laugh as the white boy left the session.

"Yo, what time we going to Flaire and 'em house?" Tyke asked.

"Around like 6," Keygan said, watching Flaire as she dropped her towel.

"Y'all coming over here for breakfast?" Ezra asked.

"She almost done?" Tyke asked.

"Damn near."

"I'll let you know when I'm on my way," Keygan said, leaving the party.