spaghetti and monsters

They had just finished eating the last of Erha's premium burnt spaghetti and Vera was in bed reading a horror novel. She knew that between trying to make sense of what happened yesterday and the discomfort in her stomach, she wouldn't be able to sleep today.

" Was it really nothing but a dream? "She wondered

     In the silence of her room as she read her novel Vera started to feel a presence in her room. It started out faint at first but soon the presence started to feel so real she could almost reach out and touch it. Goosebumps appeared on her skin and Vera could have sworn the room's temperature went down a few hundred degrees

    She soon realized she wasn't helping herself by reading "the song of ghosts" which was about a girl who enters an evil forest and disturbs a necromancer's ritual by mistake and is now being haunted by ghosts who want to kill her.

    Vera put the novel carefully in its place in one of the stacks under her bed.  Vera smiled as she looked at her collection of novels over the years, it was one of the few things that still made her happy.  She quickly decided that romance novels were what she needed right now; she didn't have a lot of those as she didn't really like them.

   "That's the one " she whispered as her eyes fell upon "my instaheart", a book she had seen many times but never read before.

      Vera still felt the presence hovering around her as she picked the book up and started to read and so she read it out loud, finding comfort in her own voice.  Between the illustrious descriptions of the writer and the sound of her own voice, she soon fell into the pages.

       She could feel mark nobody's love for Prim Kardashian resonate through her bones, his frustration at being unable to hear her voice or touch her and his unshakeable resolve to close the distance their differing statuses has created.

      She didn't know how many hours had gone by the time she started to feel something very wrong. It had something to do with how the air seemed to hold its breath and time seemed to stand still. The malevolent presence she had felt earlier had returned and somehow she felt it smile.

     Her room always smelled like old books and powder but she couldn't place the smell she perceived now.  The drip-drip of her broken bathroom tap now started to feel very ominous but what irked her the most was the sound of a gurgling in the bathroom that she had never heard before.

     It was as she stood up to investigate the bathroom that the right cogs finally turned in her head, she realised the smell she perceived was unmistakably blood. The floorboards creaked downstairs and she heard the sound of their main doors opening.

      Vera hurried downstairs to investigate. Had someone broken in?  She thought.  The main doors were open just as she heard confirming that someone had indeed gone out of the house.

       Through the open doors, she walked outside with a mopstick in hand just in case anyone needed a quick brain surgery. There was nothing outside but the freezing breeze which made her go back inside. "Maybe the winds opened the door," she thought.

     With the mopstick in hand, she headed inside and locked the door shut behind her. She had already started to walk upstairs when she realised her little sister hadn't woken up, Erha wasn't known for being a deep sleeper and so vera knew something was wrong.

      The smell of blood intensified as she got closer to Erha's room. Her heart was really starting to beat fast now. She stood behind the door for a second and then a minute, her hand rested on the cold doorknob but she couldn't find the courage to turn it. The choice that every closed door brought always felt like one of tremendous magnitude to her as she could never know what sight awaited her behind closed doors

       The hair at the back of her neck stood up as a wave of cold washed over her from the place where her hand touched the doorknob, down to her feet and up again to the top of her head. The blood roared in her ears as dread built up in her core, threatening to consume her

"Probably nothing," she said to herself in a bid to restore her confidence

"Nothing at all," she said to herself, finally turning the doorknob and opening the door

      "Jesus Christ " She screamed as she saw the thing behind the door