six

The school bell rang, signalling that the school session ended. Areum immediately ran to the entrance as quick as she could but stopped when the rain started pouring down.

"No!" She frowned since she forgot to bring her umbrella. She thought for a while, thinking of any convenience store nearby so she could buy an umbrella.

Heeseung walked out, holding an umbrella. He sighed when he saw the cloudy sky greeting him. He looked around until his gaze caught Areum standing alone.

He approached her, "Yah."

She rolled her eyes, "I'm not in the mood to argue, Heeseung."

He leaned the umbrella towards her, "I'll walk you home. Or do you want to wait long for the rain to stop?"

She stayed silent, looking away. He sighed heavily, "Fine," he said before walking away. She immediately held his arm, "Alright, I'll walk home with you."

She walked next to him, making sure she was close so that the rain wouldn't drench her clothes.

Beomgyu immediately ran to the school entrance. He was holding two umbrellas in his hands. His heart dropped when he saw Areum and Heeseung sharing an umbrella.

His best friend was unconsciously leaning the umbrella towards her, his other shoulder was drenched with the rain.

"Areum-ah," he called her under his breath. His grip tightened around the umbrella, watching them both disappear in his sight.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Why do you want to work with the police?" Areum suddenly asked. Her gaze was on the ground, seeing the raindrops fall against it.

"You know how politicians always bribe people to get what they want? I hated it when my dad does that. So I want to put a stop to all of that," he answered.

"That's a nice reason," she gave him an unexpected smile. His heart fluttered when he saw her smile. The butterflies in his stomach danced around that he could feel them burst out at any moment.

He cleared his throat awkwardly before asking, "Why do you want to be a neurosurgeon?"

"They're so cool in dramas. And imagine when you saved a person. Imagine how happy your patients will be. It makes me relieved and happy knowing that I saved a person's life."

He smiled, "Hearing your reasons made me want to change my career."

"Really?" She asked happily, "I can already see you in a doctor's coat. You'll look so handsome!"

He chuckled softly before slowly taking her backpack from her, "It must be heavy. Let me carry this."

She exhaled heavily, "Yes it is! The history book is so thick."

Areum glanced at him before saying, "Maybe I should work with the police. A detective maybe? Then, I'll help you stop all the crimes the politicians are doing."

"Really? You would do that?" He flashed her a smile. It was her turn to blush. Her heart thumped an unfamiliar beat. The butterflies were threatening to burst out of her stomach.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum's house was in sight. She sneaked a glance at the man next to her, "Umm, do you want to stay for a while at my house? It's still raining."

"Can I?" Heeseung asked until his attention was at a lady in the house's driveway. Areum also averted her gaze to the lady, a frown appearing on her face.

Mrs Jung motioned for them to quickly arrive home.
"Oh my, it's raining cats and dogs today. The news didn't even announce this."

Areum quietly put her shoes on the shelf before giving Heeseung a pair of home slippers. He noticed a frown that was appearing on her face.

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" Mrs Jung asked politely. He smiled and bowed, "I'm Lee Heeseung, Mrs Jung."

"Oh! That smart kid Areum always talk about! You can take a seat first. I'll prepare a warm meal for you both," the stepmother said happily.

He sat next to Areum at the dining table, seeing that she was still not smiling. "Your stepmother seems nice," he said.

"She is."

"Then what makes you hate her?"

"I don't hate her. I'm just disappointed in myself whenever I see her."

He sighed, "You can see that she's trying very hard to make you like her. The least you can do is be nice to her. You don't have to like her."

She looked at him, "Really? Do you think I should? She took my dad away from my mom. She's the reason my mom suddenly vanished and never come to even see me."

"I'm just saying. My mom always tells me to treat people nicely unless I have a reason not to."

She let out a disbelief scoff, "Well, you treat me like shit. What reason do you have?"

"Hey, don't make me take back my words and just enjoy me being nice to you right now."

She thought for a while, "Maybe you're right. I mean, she hasn't done anything wrong. And my dad unexpectedly fell in love with her. I can't do anything to stop it anyway."

Heeseung ruffled her hair out of the blue, "Good girl."

Her eyes widened, "Yah! Don't say that!"

"What's wrong with it?"

"People only say that to their girlfriends. We're not even dating," she answered, scooting away from him.

"Well, are you saying we should date?" He asked, trying to stop a smirk from appearing.

"Lee Heeseung, do you want me to stab you with a knife?" Areum asked as she gritted her teeth out of annoyance.