Chapter 8

I took a deep breath, trying to focus on History Assignment on the board. Last day of school until summer, Sadie. Just last through today.

I sucked in a deep breath, trying to push the worry out of my mind.

Richelle had been having pretty bad problems with pain management so about a week ago, my mom took her to the hospital so they could treat her. She was in the hospital until chemo treatment, because they couldn't keep her pain under control. They had problems treating Eva's pain too.

The problem? I couldn't do anything. Mom and Richelle had been trying to help me with all the God stuff, so I took a leap of faith and decided to pray.

God, please help my sister. Richelle's the strongest girl I've ever known. I don't think she knows how strong she is. Help her realize-

"Are you sleeping in my class?"

My eyes sprang open to find Ms. McDonald standing over me, hands on hips.

"No," I said simply, trying to keep my temper in check.

"Why were your eyes closed then?" Ms. McDonald asked. "Were you checking your eyelids for light leaks or something?"

I could hear the snickers radiate from my classmates.

I decided that honesty was the best policy.

"I was praying," I said, hoping she didn't haul me off to the principal's office right then or embarrass myself to the point where I would never be allowed to return to school because of the embarrassment.

Ms. McDonald's eyes were snapping at me and she jabbed her finger at the door, scowling.

"Out there," she demanded. "Now."

I followed her, trying to keep my head up. It was challenging.

"Look, I know how hard it's been for your family with Richelle in and out of the hospital," Ms. McDonald said, the tiniest bit of compassion in her voice. "And I know law prevents me from talking about my faith in the classroom, but I will not allow a student to belittle it."

I opened my mouth. "I don't think I-"

"Prayer is not a joke to me."

"It isn't to me-"

"You do not have to believe what I believe but you do have to respect it," Ms. McDonald said. "Are we clear?"
I shut my mouth and waited to see if that was a question I was supposed to answer.

"Are you mute girl?" Ms. McDonald stared a hole in me. "Are we clear?"

"I am," I said. "But you keep cutting off every single word I say, so I'm not sure you are."

Ms. McDonald let out a breath while I held my breath. I had two choices. I could mumble that I was sorry and hope I didn't get suspended. Or stand up for myself and definitely get suspended. I was so glad I only had to deal with things for one more day then school would be over with. Who cares if I get suspended for today? It's the last day of school.

"What I was trying to say," I pressed on, ignoring the sharp glare Ms. McDonald kept on me. "Was that I really was praying. For my family, the only thing that got us through Eva's death and Richelle's numerous chemotherapy treatments is our faith, especially for Richelle. I don't know what 'belittle' means but I don't think I was doing it. Not on purpose anyway."

Ms. McDonald pinched the bridge of her nose like my parents did when they couldn't decide what to do with me and my sisters. At least she wasn't dragging me down to the office... yet.

Ms. McDonald watched me for a minute or two, then sighed.

Alright," Ms. McDonald said. "Go back in."