PART TWO: CHAPTER THREE

A sudden gust of wind scattered my newspapers, and blew them off my office desk. As I scurried about to gather the pages, I noticed they fell in a distinct, overlapping pattern—resembling a spread hand of cards. It was probably nothing, I told myself, but my mind's eye was open. The gift of spiritual perception was a blessing and a curse. Seeing beyond ordinary human understanding was a gift, but being on high alert twenty four seven was not.

After putting my table in order, I leaned back in my chair and flexed my fingers. With no bizzare pressure like at the Continental Herald, work was a joy and not a burden. I inhaled my mixed fruit air freshener and stretched my legs. Once upon a time, Kennedy Olajide scorned me for having a 'basic office'. Now I had an executive office overlooking Agodi Gardens, and he had fallen from grace and was behind bars. No one knew what tomorrow would bring.

An e-mail notification popped up on my screen to remind me about my progress report. I put finishing touches on my administrative data in preparation for a board meeting. My one and two year action plan  I arranged for Governor Orisajana were in order and in record time. As a political advisor, my suggestions about socioeconomic policies had potential to be considered.

My heart swelled with joy because I was doing my best to make a positive difference. Our country would be better, if we all did our part. Things would not improve overnight, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. Despite my serious reflections, heat rushed to my cheeks at the sudden thought of my man, Niyi. His romantic proposal and the sweet, small things he did made me swoon. My home and work front were prosperous. Life was good.

"To ba fe padanu emi re, joko s'ori aga to maa n joko si nigbati o ba pade Gomina. If you want to lose your life, sit on your usual chair when you attend the meeting with the Governor."

I halted. No longer afraid of random voices, I contemplated the spoken message with a furrowed brow. It sounded like an old woman, but no one else was in my office.

"Igboran san ju ebo ruru lo. Obedience is better than sacrifice," the voice added.

"Tani o? Fara han! Who are you? Reveal yourself," I commanded.

There was no response.

I hissed. "The animal in the bushes should either come out and attack me or stop disturbing my peace."

"Eni to ba fa ijoko jade fun o, ni ki oun funra re joko si. O digba. Insist that whoever draws out a seat for you must sit in it. Farewell."

"Hello, Miss Oyekinka? I was instructed to inform you the meeting is starting now."

My sight refocused at the sound of a familiar voice. "Pardon?" I asked.

The Governor's personal assistant, Mr Segun, smiled and repeated himself before adding that a few stakeholders noted that they found it strange that I was late because I was always punctual. He was subsequently sent to check that all was well.

"How long have you been here?" I asked as I rose to my feet and took my files. We walked side by side out of my office and down the hallway.

Mr Segun cast a concerned look my way. "I knocked several times and opened the door when you didn't respond."

"If Niyi is cause for concern, I'm here for you," he added.

"Thou shall not covet another man's —"

He rolled his eyes and concluded. "Wife. But you're not married yet," he mumbled.

I gave him a stern warning before we entered the boardroom. "Mr Segun, behave yourself."

"Yes ma'am," he replied with a nod and a cheeky wink.

By the time we walked in, the Governor, a few commissioners and heads of departments were already seated. After the typical exchange of pleasantries with all the big guns and heartfelt apologies for lateness, I located my chair at the round table, and Mr Segun went to his. Before I could draw my seat, the commissioner for Youth and Sports rushed to offer me the chair.

My eyes scanned her from head to toe within a second. She was a young woman like me. Older by a few years and from what I gathered, committed to politics even as an undergraduate. Her smile was broad, and she nodded with eagerness for me to sit down. Under her cheerful and pretty exterior was a soul full of bitterness and hatred. She was a green snake in green grass manifested in human flesh.

"Thank you, ma'am," I said. "But I want you to sit in the chair," I added.

A few hushed murmurs echoed in the room, but no one intervened. They watched with keen interest to see how the drama would unfold.

She looked around and waved her hand around the room in anticipation of potential sympathizers. "Miss Oyeyinka, let's not keep their excellencies waiting," she replied.

I laughed and folded my arms. It was a struggle to suppress the fire raging within. The sight of her despicable face annoyed me.
"Miss Linda Lere," I snarled, "Sit down in the chair. It's all yours."

The silence in the hall was deafening. Governor Orisajana waded in to douse the tension. "Ladies, please calm down and sit in any spare chair."

I curtseyed. "Sir, with all due respect to you and all the dignitaries present, I insist Linda Lere sit in the chair she offered me. I apologise for the inconvenience, and promise to carry on if she complies.

The Governor sighed and his eyes darted from Linda to mine for a fraction of time. "Alright, Linda sit in the chair."

I arched a triumphant eyebrow, and adjusted my stance. Linda on the other hand chuckled and sweat dripped down her forehead. "Ko le to baun. It's not a serious as that. I'll sit somewhere else."

She tried to move, but I stood in her way and looked her square in the face. "Linda Lere, omo Teju. Linda Lere, daughter of Teju. Sit. In. The. Chair." I insisted. A few startled gasps were stifled instantly. They had no idea how I knew her mother's name, but I had unique methods.

People around the room supported me with impatient complaints. Agreeing that if Linda had a clear conscience, she should sit in the chair and settle the matter once and for all. After much pressure from everyone in the room, her countenance fell. Linda knew there was no way out of the situation.

With great reluctance, Linda sat in the chair. Everyone seated rose to their feet and clutched their chests in horror at what happened next. Indeed, I noted obedience is better than sacrifice.

 Indeed, I noted obedience is better than sacrifice