The Author and Her Bodyguard (DS)

The Author and Her Bodyguard, by AuthorCassidyKate

***

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to read your book. Please, keep in mind that my reading of your story is by necessity a subjective opinion. Your story is beautiful and important to you more than any other story you could have been telling. How I perceived it is very much a matter of my preferences

Your story is special in that it is on the verge of hitting a million reads, which is an amazing achievement, so I am not aiming for feedback that is geared toward editing. I will be reading 15 chapters, because the book is a resounding success. Your fans testify far louder than I could that what you write works.

Your book is in chicklit and mystery/thriller category, so I looked at how your main character resonated with me, as well as the combination of sass and just a bit of danger, but not like scary-uncomfortable danger that is a trademark of cozy mysteries. As in all genres, I also look at how much I want to figure out what's going to happen to the main character and if I would be able to remember your story a few months from now.

I think that you chose a 'what you see is what you get' title for your story. It alludes to the iconic romantic movie Bodyguard, essentially promising similar pairing. A creative/sensitive female lead, her tough protector, character clash because of the necessity to be together, but undeniable attraction. Your blurb also lays the same scenario without trying to hide anything. Yes, this is exactly what you are going to get, it assures me as a reader. I think you did a fantastic job of the book's 'curb appeal' via title and blurb.

Your book is more of a Clueless in style than Bodyguard, replacing attraction of worldly man and woman with a romance between far more innocent characters. 

The book is unabashedly a wish-fulfillment scenario. The wish-fulfillment stories work when the main character is someone who has a strong appeal and serves as a vessel for the reader's own self-insert.

Laliana can be trying at times, with the mix of bubbliness and cluelessness, but I think that overall, she is likable, particularly with her earnest, almost comic delight and puzzlement at the success of her mermaid books. There is a sincere want there, emanating from the pages, which makes it perfect for a wish-fulfilment, and entice readers' with the authenticity.

The stalker, who seems to hate Laliana's books cast as a villain also is bound to strike a cord with anyone who received a hate comment, heh. After reading 15 chapters, my feeling was that this evil genius was probably Laliana's agent, but I am not 100% sure, which is great for a mystery story. 

In terms of mystery build up, I loved the first inclusion of it, the classic 'locked-room' style mystery as well as the hint of the puzzle that followed up. 

However, these two bits were spread through 15 chapters out of 45, and, for my taste the mystery got a bit drowned out by the innuendo. In my view, there was an opportunity with building up the thriller tension higher by using the 15 messages (incidentally 15 chapters) instead of just stating their existence.

On the upside, despite being a stalker story, the book doesn't cross the line into scary or uncomfortable.

The writing is absolutely a win in your book, because it is light, porous and easy to go along with.

To me, based on 15 chapters, the book felt like a light, escapist YA romance, a wistful dream of a younger woman about a perfect man who would enter their life and they would have adventures together. I would recommend this book as a not-guilty read (there are no guilty reads, people!) to someone who is looking for a cozy mystery with a clueless/YA (or YA-approximating) protagonist.

Again, congratulations on your fantastic success on Wattpad and best of luck with your next project!