Chapter 66: Claud

Claud stared down at the stupid girl on the floor. He would have felt sorry for her if she had been just a little more cautious. A person who could be so easily swayed into betraying their master was not worthy of pity.

He glanced down at her red dress and knew that it was nothing a servant girl much less a commoner could hope to afford. Perhaps it was a gift from the Holy Lady. Although, judging from what he had learned about Mellie's character, she might have stolen it from her mistress.

Claud rolled his neck, easing his tense muscles and cracking his stiff joints.

He lifted his hand to his face and gently searched for the minuscule bump at the top of his temple from which he could peel off his mask.

Finally, his fingernail caught on the ridge of his false face. He expertly peeled off the layer of thin magically crafted skin, the best kept secret of the Kingdom of Erithien, and revealed his true face from underneath the magical mask.

His green eyes were much more brilliant without the veil of the mask hiding his true appearance. They were a vibrant aquamarine that glowed in the dimly lit room. His face was more angular now too with high cheekbones and a sharp jawlline.

Clara and Luella who had been following Mellie since she walked past the kitchen while they were there in search of more iced cream stared wide eyed at the scene unfolding in front of them.

The maid had been sneaking across the house when they were in the kitchen searching for more iced cream, so they thought it might be a good idea to follow her and report what they saw to Agnes the next morning. Luella thought it would be a good idea to get into Agnes's good books after they had tricked her into letting them enter the Holy Lady's mansion. However, something totally unexpected happened.

The two girls found that the maid was sneaking off to meet her lover in the middle of the night. Then the maid's lover had done something to her that made her faint.  Even more bizzarely the two girls had seen the man pull of his face as if it was a tissue.

They had so many questions but they were more afraid than they were curious. They instinctively knew the man was dangerous.

They didn't dare move or make a sound. They would stay hidden behind the door until they could get away.

Clara who was crouching low on the floor glared up at Luella for dragging her out of their room to go and get iced cream. Luella glared down at Clara for making her follow the maid. This was turning out to be an aweful night for the two of them.

Clara bit down on her lip as she felt a sudden urgency in her bladder. She looked up at Leulle needingly, telling her friend with her eyes that she needed to go to the bathroom.

Luelle mouthed a very threatenting, "Dont. You. Dare."

They angrily made faces at each other but both girls stilled when they heard footsteps from across the room. They turned and watched as Claud walked towards the window.

"Come in." He called out through the open window.

In a flash, a woman in black slipped through the window and kneeled before Claud.

"Don't be so formal." Claud murmured as he stood by the window, tracing his long fingers over the ledge. "This barrier is remarkable."

Claud loved the study of unusual and rare magic. Of course the barrier the holy Lady constructed around her house was incredible.

"It's impenetrable unless specific people invite you inside." He marvelled at the excellent magic. "It would have been perfect if the people Her holiness chose to trust with such an honour were worthy of it."