x16. Rage against the Machine

Fair warning:
Long chapter ahead! This is my way of saying sorry for making many of you wait for the story to continue.🦋

Eleanor was comfortable

She was seated in the back of the truck with Eric and the team that followed them blindly into this action.
She was leaned with no bother with her hands on the rifle she carried ever since she came to Dauntless.
Lately, it was the only thing she was sure of.

There were nights when she slept with it in the bedroom, because of how bad the situation was after the word was spread about her involvement in the simulation system.
People found it quite logical;
She was at Eric's side even before her initiation and the gossip about her and the simulation room were very well-known after that.

Some people thought that she was a genius, some people that she was a cheater and bad-mannered player just as her boyfriend, but also many rumors involved the questions of her divergence.

Who knew of Peter Hayes, also involved him in those rumors that flew over their faction. Who didn't not, questioned only her and Eric's allegiance to anything or anyone.
The problem was, that she never accepted to stay home and not live in the only way possible - as a soldier.

She was in peace with dying, but not with vegetation.
The only person not in peace with dying was Eric, not even when it came to him, but when it came to her.
Her not showing up in the public slowly weakened his image, but on the other side, spread the fire.

And that fire deliberately and with delicacy was killing them. And what they had. He sometimes seemed like he didn't care. And that was the most painful thing to overcome.
She didn't give a damn about rumors. But she did for him.
Ever since they went for a mission today, he has been nothing but a Leader to her and she obeyed with any further questions, even though the thunder was raging in her.

Anyway, slowly, as she was drowning in her ocean of thoughts, she leaned her head also onto her hands, thinking. Now she was completely in a hug with a rifle pointed at her head from under. Not that she minded.

"What are you doing, Ellie?", someone tried to wake her up from her wandering state.

"What?", she asked roughly, looking at the senior soldier in front of her.

"You will kill yourself.", he appointed on her leaning with her whole upper body on that rifle like it was a toy to be played with.

"Oh, wouldn't you all love that.", she stood up, taking the rifle in one hand, coming at him unhurriedly.

Eric turned around to see what was going on, but the soldier was luckily dead-silent.
If one look could kill, Eleanor would be dead now, though.

She stood up with a violent look in her eyes, pulling her rifle on the ground slowly and coming towards him.
The man was afraid of how much power Ellie drew from Eric. She found that quite useful now.
Eleanor from before would never disrespect a fellow soldier like that nor did she like displaying any kind of power in front of anyone.