Chapter 36: Plan

Alexander's POV

"Are you sure you don't wanna try their dessert?" I inquired absentmindedly, her forehead slowly wrinkled as she threw me a 'what's going on with you' stare. 

I inwardly winced when it dawned on me that I had asked her perhaps more than five times now. I was too lost watching her too engrossed as she finished the rest of my salmon. I could hear her silent moan as she chewed the pinkish fish flesh while I enjoyed the last drops of the wine. 

She let out a soft chuckle and shook her head, a few blonde tendrils of her hair that got loose from her hair tie framed her face moved as her head shake from side to side. "Again, I'm too full, Alex. You forgot I had two meals," she glared, good-naturedly at me. 

I realized the waiter was still standing awkwardly close to me while waiting for me to pay the bill.

"I'm gonna despise myself even more if I'm gonna have desserts." She shook her head as she added. "You didn't eat at all. All you had is the wine," she pointed out. She even cocked her eyebrow to the side, towards the direction of the empty bottle. A soft grunt escaped her lips momentarily. An apparent disapproval of her actions. 

I shook my head briskly as I involuntarily pulled the left side of my coat and my free hand dug into the inside small bag sewn onto my coat for my wallet without leaving my eyes off hers. I feel like an invisible thread is pulling me closer, drawing me into the depth of her deep blue liquid of pools. 

I never thought I would find that kind of love my parents had. 

"Still, you should have ordered another one," she frowned. She looked embarrassed mingled with a pang of regret flitted across her face.

"So you can have it again?" I joked lamely, hoping to illicit another laughter from her. I didn't like seeing her face filled with negative emotions such as guilt or embarrassment. 

A flush of embarrassment rose to her cheeks and she looked rather appetizing than that smoked salmon or any of the dish on the Rosemary & Thyme's menu. Then she let out a soft laughter, shaking her head as she gently dropped her back on the back of her cushioned seat. 

"Yes, I should have ordered another one... but I'm not hungry, babe. So please, stop worrying about me. Though I find it so sweet," I grinned and she chuckled.

I pulled my black wallet out of the left breast pocket of my coat and pulled out my credit card.

"And I don't want to see your pretty face carrying that guilt," I chuckled, tone light and cheerful trying to wash away all that traces of regrets off her face. "I'm happy that you are eating good." I gave her a reassuring smile, and I badly wanted to lean towards her and kiss that guilt away.

I hesitantly tore my eyes off her and shifted it to the black leather bound folder sitting on the table in front of me, waiting patiently for my attention. 

I unfolded the bill holder and slipped the black card into the small pocket intended for any payment card on the left side, while a rectangular piece of paper neatly sitting on the right side of the bill folder. My eyes briefly ran across the receipt without really paying attention and folded the folder. I grabbed the folder and handed it to the waiter.

The waiter took the folder and I caught a sight of him tapping on the small machine before I tore my eyes away and rest it on my happiness.

I may have been looking like a dumb the whole time, my face felt like it had been stretched too much from smiling for so long, but I couldn't help it, and I don't care.

"No more fussing about my lunch, agreed?" I said.

"Yes," she agreed.

"You should try their desserts—" she added, perhaps not thinking as she immediately bit her lips, trying to bit back whatever words she'd wanna add.