Chapter 24

He kissed him, right there and then.

For a few seconds, there was nothing but absolute silence, the tension so thick you could cut it through with a knife. Time seemed to have been held still.

In fact, everything seemed to have been held still, there wasn't even the tiniest of movements from anyone. Absolutely nothing happened, except for the shocking kiss.

While Taehyung's one hand was clutching the other boy's collar in a tight fist, his other hand was latched to the back of his head while his lips were tightly pressed onto his. He truly had no idea what he was doing nor had he ever done anything of this sort. Of course, he had read his fair share of romance novels and kind of knew what was happening, but to actually do it...

Having held his breath for several seconds, he let go of Jungkook as he realized what in the actual world he was doing. And suddenly, it seemed like the ballroom revived itself.

Eunbin dropped her bouquet of flowers, the pretty petals spreading all over the flawlessly polished floor, the Queen who had just been standing proudly almost fainted out of shock and noise started to fill the hall again. But this time, not gleeful whispers and happy chuckles, there were gasps and even little screams of horror.

Jungkook almost dropped the ring-box too, wondering whether he was hallucinating or living inside a dream. Not even in his wildest dreams would he have ever known anything of this sort to happen. He simply stared into the prince's eyes, who had no choice but to stare back.

"Wh-Wh- I--," the Queen whimpered, seating herself onto her throne again, and this time not in an elegant manner but rather in a lurch. "D-Dear, I am afraid you are not well. Wh-Who thought it was an amusing idea to let you drink so much wedding champagne?"

Averting his eyes slightly from Jungkook's, Taehyung now gazed at his mother. Part of him knew it, he must back down, admit he was drunk and out of his mind and had absolutely no control over his actions. But something, something inside him did not listen and continued to rebel against what was rational and right.

"But I am perfectly well, mother," he spoke up, without the slightest bit of a stutter. "Not the faintest bit of dizziness." She yelped, clutching her chest with one hand and seemingly losing her ability to speak. The King, who had looked just as paralyzed and shocked up until now, seemed to have come to his senses and was balling a furious fist.

"My eyes simply must be deceiving me."

"Someone slipped something funny into His Majesty's food or drink, I am sure of it. What if there is a plot against the kingdom?"

"Madness. Absolute madness."

Taehyung realized he had just ruined his entire reputation, the words of the wedding guests ringing inside his ears like alarm bells. He ought to run off and hide somewhere and not return until after the ceremony. But his two feet stood their ground on the floor firmly, as if cemented into it.

He could sense his father opening his mouth trembling in fury, wondering if he would throw a tantrum in front of all these people when suddenly, someone else stepped forward and spoke before him.

"I knew it! Your Grace, I fear that your son is gravely ill. I thought something was suspicious, but I could not dare think..." It was the kitchen maid who had picked a fight with Jungkook and called him privileged and lazy, Choi Yujin. In her hands she held a tray with beautifully sparkling pink champagne and strawberry tarts, decorated by pink roses that matched her pink uniform but not her spiteful face.

"What by all means do you mean, servant?," the King asked icily, not taking his eyes off his son.
"This servant boy," she pointed towards Jungkook while talking, "has been spending an awful lot of time with Prince Taehyung. I have seen them, walking in the garden, eating breakfast together, even entering His Majesty's private library together! Immediately I knew, this was not an appropriate relationship between the Prince and his servant!"