thirty-six.

the beer float of hope

~~~~~

Being lonely.

It was something that Elliot had felt for the majority of her life.

When she was younger, every other sibling she was supposed to have had died at birth or at a very early age. Then soon after she was born, in the first few years of her life, her parents had died. One after the other. And just like that, she was left alone with nothing but her brother.

Elliot had become dependent upon her older brother, Bucky. She knew no other way to live, seeing as that was how her life had always been. But seeing as he was the one who was priding everything for her and himself, he was hardly ever home. In those times, she was left by herself, hiding in the place they loved, waiting and wanting nothing more than for her brother to get back home.

But for as long as Bucky had been around, the young girl had never felt truly alone. She always knew that she was going to have him in her life and in her corner when anything ever went wrong.

He then enlisted in the army.

Elliot was proud of her brother for wanting to help defend their country. And it wasn't like she could ask him to stay behind. It would have been selfish of her because he was willing to put his life on their line for a little over a million people. She was just one person he could be able to protect, but in the army he could help so many more people.

So she hid her true feelings.

And just like that her brother was gone and she was left alone.

She had buried herself in different tasks. Whether that was the job she had taken up or cleaning up the quaint little place she lived in, she was always busy with something. It helped her sublimate her issues and not think about how lonely she truly felt.

Then her brother was lost in the field.

It was the type of news that one never wanted to hear. Finding out that the one person in the world that meant the most to her was gone, was heartbreaking. Elliot no longer knew what to do with herself. She thought she could just wait until her brother returned but there was clearly no point anymore—because there was no one to wait for.

There was a fleeting moment of hope for Elliot. Bucky had been found. He was alright. He was going to be able to come back home. But instead, he went straight back into battle. And just like that, she lost him once more. First to the war and then to the killer called Death.

When Steve died soon after her brother, she was truly and utterly alone. There was no one left to turn to. No one left to talk about her day with...There was no one at all.

Then Hydra had taken her.

But nothing good ever came after that. She was hereby sentenced to an extended lifetime of misery or being forever alone. She had to live with excruciating physical and mental pain and abuse. She had to live with the fact that her brother was okay but he didn't remember her. She had lived with the fact that she didn't remember who he was either.