𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐰 (𝟑)

The group was all talking over one another, each person intoning what they'd read or discovered at once

Cass rolled her eyes, fingers running over the words she'd just read slowly, carefully. She knew they were important, knew they were the key to solving this, but she'd already tried grabbing their attention three times, to no avail.

Huffing, she stood up, picking up a heavy stack of books, before loudly dropping them on the table, smirking when the group all jumped in surprise at the loud noise.

"If you're all done acting like children and yelling over one another, I do believe I might have something."

The Doctor grinned slightly at the annoyance in her tone, ambling towards her with a small grin, "What is it, then?"

She gestured towards the book she had open on the table, inviting him to lean over and read the information himself, which he did, slowly leaning from behind her, planting his chin softly on her shoulder as he read, "Look what your old dad found. Something fell to Earth."

Rose quickly approached the pair, hiding the small smile that wanted to erupt at their closeness, asking, "A spaceship?"

"A shooting star," Cass corrected softly, running her fingers gently over the page, reading the lines out loud, "In the year of our Lord, 1540, under the reign of King James the Fifth, an almighty fire did burn in the pit."

"That's the Glen of Saint Catherine just by the Monastery." The doctor nodded, informing them.

The blonde shook her head, "But that's over three hundred years ago. What's it been waiting for?"

"Maybe only a single cell survived," Cass murmured, fingers running through her hair as she thought out loud, "maybe it adapted and evolved through the generations, moving from human to human, using them as hosts, incubators."

"But why does it want the throne?" Robert interjected, worry in his voice.

Rose shrugged helplessly, "That's what it wants. It said so, the... the Empire of the Wolf."

"Imagine it... the Victorian Age accelerated..." the Doctor began, voice foreboding and dark. Noticing this, Cass reached over, lacing her fingers through his own, having noticed how it seemed to calm him down previously. He exhaled deeply, tightening his hold on her, before continuing, sounding less tense than before, "starships and missiles fueled by coal and driven by steam... leaving history devastated in its wake..."

From across the room, Victoria called out to Sir Robert, beckoning him closer, and Cass closed her eyes, tilting her head back and cracking her neck, a slight sigh of relief leaving her when the joint popped. Familiar hands dropped to her shoulders, massaging the tense muscles slowly, she withheld a groan, opening her eyes and saying, "If you don't stop, some very unsavoury noises are going to leave me, and I don't think your delicate Time Lord disposition could handle them."