Prologue: Strange Mirror

"Y/N, I'm sorry to inform you that our investigation came out with no answers."

You held the doorknob tightly to ease your trembling, "A-are you sure? Surely they're still somewhere..."

The cop removed his hat, "Even after you filed for a missing persons' report, we were unable to find them. Some of their belongings were found in the motel, though. The front-desk worker informed us that they were clutching something, and it was glowing. Then your parents rushed out of the building and drove away, apparently going north."

You stared down in horror, your eyes burning, "Then this must be the direction they drove to. We're literally on the outskirts of the city, and there's only one way in and out of here..." You rubbed your eyes to prevent tears from leaking out, "But I never saw the car, even though it should've been easy."

He looked at you warily, "The disappearance is definitely peculiar. We tracked down every account they had, but there were no signs of activity at all. Not even their bank accounts. When we were informed that this way was the general direction they drove to, we had cameras checked. But none of them showed your parents' car. Do you remember seeing people similar to them at all, by any chance?"

You shook your head.

The cop proceeded, "I know it must be hard for you, but we did what we could. We searched everywhere for them, and even after being spotted at the motel, we lost track of them. Not even I could say for sure if we can find them at this point. I'm very sorry, Y/N."

You sighed, "You did what you could. If it's okay with you, I'd like some time for myself."

The officer nodded, "Take as much time as you need. Don't hesitate to phone me if something ever happens."

You said your regards to the cop and hastily closed the door. After waiting for him to leave your front yard, you dragged your feet upstairs to your room and sank to the bed, clutching your locket containing a photo of your family. You had a strong urge to take it off, cursing at whoever up there got your parents lost. Your anger and resentment for the world was threatening to spill over, but despite that, you held onto the necklace, for memory's sake.

You found yourself staring out the window, talking to no one in particular, "Why did they leave me? Did I do something that made them furious? Did they hate me so much that they chose to abandon their only child?"

You shut your eyes and wiped the stream of water that had fallen from your face without you noticing. You felt a tap on your shoulder, startling you from your thoughts. Slowly opening your eyes, you were met with a silhouette of a man who seemed taller than anyone you have ever met. There was something familiar about this man, but you were unable to put your finger to it.

"You'll be alright."

There was something about his voice, akin to that of a velvet fabric, that eased your nerves, and you slipped into slumber.

-

A month has passed since your last talk with the cop and there is still no sighting of your parents.

You take it upon yourself to clean the house of any junk that lay around. Bringing down the attic ladder, you hoist yourself up with cleaning products and a determined look on your face, groaning when you feel your back stiffen from the pain. Stretching, you fan out the dust that collected itself in front of you, and take a look around.

Now that you think about it, your parents didn't have a lot of personal belongings to begin with. You find a couple of trinkets here and there, some photos of you, but nothing about their past. You strike it to be strange, though you mostly thought their reason (being "estranged" from their families) is valid enough not to pry upon.