14. 1st official date

AN: This chapter contains info about Paul and Lizzie's life/family that I have created for them.
Just want to repeat the TW of this chapter: alcohol, drugs, verbal/physical abuse, neglect.
I don't go into detail too much this is just a warning in case, enjoy.

PAUL POV

Once we got to the cafe, I opened the door, obviously, being the incredible gentleman I am, and we sat down.

We easily found ourselves emerged in a comfortable conversation as we drank coffee and ate cake.

I was internally arguing with myself whether I was going to ask her about her parents or not. She had told me she moved here because her parents were travelling, then when I asked her the second time in this exact coffee shop, she said family stuff. I managed to muster up enough courage to ask, hoping I wouldn't upset her.

ELIZABETH POV

"So last time we came here I asked you why you moved."- Paul

He was nervous to repeat the question he had asked me days ago. I wanted to tell him, I did. But I didn't want to see the look of pity in his chocolate eyes. I didn't want to kill the mood. I didn't want to ruin everything before it even began.

"You got a new answer yet?" He added, "you don't have to tell me."

"Well, Sarah and Darren, they're my full time guardians."

I know I want to tell him, and I will, right now. I'm going to tell him. I just don't know how.

"A couple months before I moved my dad got in a car crash and was killed on impact, then a few months later my mum urm overdosed. I moved here a few days after their funeral."

The words seemed to escape my mouth before I had even realised I was speaking. Why was it so damn easy to talk to him?

I analysed his facial expression, his eyes, eyebrows, mouth, anything that could give away what he was thinking.

"That's rough. I'm sorry that happened to you," his eyes were full of mixed emotions: pity, concern and intrigue, "were you guys close?"

"With my dad, yeah. He was my best friend." I found myself smiling at the memories I shared with him. "Not so much with my mum, it got worse after my dad died too, she started drinking heavily. I think I reminded her too much of him. I look a lot like him."

It felt nice to talk to Paul about everything.

"I'm guessing that's why you don't drink?"

"Yeah," I felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I wasn't hiding anything from him now and it was nice. I could relax. "So, what about your family."

"Umm my mum left me and my dad when I was little, and my dad," he paused not knowing how to word what he wanted to say, "well he's a bit of a tough love kind of guy. He can be a bit rough sometimes."

He didn't want to share into detail, he left it quite vague, which was completely fine. He'd open up when he felt comfortable enough. Tough love could mean a variety of different things.

"Some great family trauma huh," I tried to make him smile. It easily worked, a small smile crept onto his face.

"You seem happy with your aunt and uncle," it was neither a question or a statement but I replied, "yeah, they're nice. Except for when they are teasing me about you." I could see a proud smirking etched onto his face at what I said.

"Oh yeah, how so?"

"Well for starters, 'don't have too much fun'," I impersonated what my uncle had said earlier with a grin.

This made his smirk grow even more, "don't worry, they'll soon love me."

"You seem awfully confident for a guy who turned into a dog in front of me the other day."

—————

After the date ended, he drove Lizzie home and, of course, her aunt and uncle were waiting up for her, hearing the car pull up, little to the couples knowledge, wanting to hear all about it but more importantly, tease her about it.

They got out the car and out of instinct, he held Liz's hand without realising, walking up the drive to the front door throwing his head back in laughter as they joked around.

They got to the door and turned to each other.

"I had a great time today."- Lizzie

"Yeah, me too."

PAUL POV

As I stood in front of Elizabeth Smith's house all I wanted in that moment was to kiss her. To wrap my arms around her waist and breathe her in but I hesitated. She has just told me she had had a great time. I didn't want to ruin it or rush her so I leaned in and kissed her on her cheek, "see you tomorrow."

"Yeah see you tomorrow."

Okay. Maybe I chickened out. So that didn't go as planned. Stupid Paul.

ELIZABETH POV

As I walked into the house, the first thing I saw was my aunt and uncle attempting to act casual. I wanted to know how long they have been sat by the window waiting for my return. I rolled my eyes at their childish expressions but inside, I couldn't be happier. I had just been on a great date with the boy I like and I came home to my family.