Journey Back

Artemis and Alicedeparted from the city of Bulhin by the break of dawn. They left without leaving a word to Kein or to any of his subordinates. They were only informed that they were gone when a few maids knocked on their doorstep and received no reply. The Queen's Guard burst in only to find the room empty with a note left on the bed.

They gave the note to Kein and it read: "Thanks"

It was a simple gesture, Artemis and Alice did not want to be followed. Kein respected his wishes and decided against arranging a search party for them. He trusted Artemis as much as he feared him. Lord Harry was relieved to know that he won't be spending his money on a fleet of Airships.

Artemis and Alice began their journey south following the trail from the map that Kein showed them. Since Artemis had memorized the entire map, he now only needed to follow the shortest route back to their home. He did not want to raise suspicion, hence he did not request for a hovercraft to pick up near Bulhin or near any major population centers. It would risk them being exposed and his letter revoked.

Kein gave Artemis a letter the night before. This letter had his signature and his magic seal to prove its legitimacy. They were to present it to the Magic users of the academy, the letter was said to ensure that Alice would be admitted and looked after. Artemis wanted to accompany Alice in the academy, something Kein said would be a tougher than Alice's admission.

However, there is a restriction. People below 16 years old aren't allowed to enroll in the academy. Alice is 6 years old so they'll have to wait 10 years for her to enroll.

"I'll see what I can do" Kein said back then.

"Please do." Artemis replied.

And so they were off into the wilderness to the south. The trail was a dirt path like last time but had significantly more traffic. They would regularly encounter carriages, some alone, some with escorts. Some were even packed with adventurers.

Villages in the area were still empty. The storm that they were expecting to hit a few months back never came. They sighed relief but their fortune was turned around when news of the dead lands spread. The dead lands, a land that suddenly appeared in the wake of the storm, has become infamous throughout. Rumors have spread that the dead trees have begun to walk over the earth, the grass would trap your foot and place you under the mercy of the trees.

Artemis did not know any of the rumors, but he saw what he saw back then. It struck him an uneasy feeling, a feeling of uncertainty, a looming danger. His main suspect was magic, but what was choking that magic? That same thing that almost killed Alice. Might one day kill him.

"Fuw." Alice wrapped herself using an oversized fur coat. Artemis also stole the fur coat from Kein but since he does not mind Artemis stealing a few small things, he went along with it.

Artemis and Alice's journey down the trail was slow, Artemis wanted Alice to strengthen her legs and so, forced her to walk. Alice accepted the challenge and has thus far walked a few kilometers at best with Artemis help.

Artemis slowed down as to let Alice keep up with him. Both of them walked together through the morning and were silent.

It was noon, the sun was at its brightest. There were scarcely any clouds in the sky, the sun was all there is. Alice was exhausted.

"Mister, can I go sit down?" Alice asked.

Artemis did not know fatigue or exhaustion but he was smart not to compare his body to this little girl's. Both were different and had their own special needs. There were a lot of trees around them, some were lone while some were in groups.