III: Did She Just Step on Me!?

Following the path, you finally make out the end of the forestry. Paimon rushes over and takes in the scenery, excited to be out of the greenery. You let out an exhausted sigh, "Oh, finally! The end of th—"

"Hey, stop right there!"

Aether and Paimon turn around to see who called out, and you watch the blond boy about to pull you towards him until you feel a hard force against your head, "Who the fu—"

The red girl leaps off and lands on her feet gracefully. She faces you three and salutes you, "May the Anemo God protect you, strangers! I am Amber, Outrider from the Knights of Favonius. You don't look like citizens of Mondstadt. Explain yourselves!"

Aether worriedly looks at your raging form, sneering, "Why the hell would you step on me!? Do the rest of the Favonius Knights step on people they don't know as well?"

Amber, the young girl in burgundy, turns as red as her clothing in embarrassment, "Oh, by the archons, I'm so sorry! I th—"

"Save it. And no, we're not looking for trouble." You snap back at her, still clutching your aching head. Paimon looks at you and Amber nervously, as the shame-faced girl falters, "U-um, they're not normally like this... but their name is Y/N. The blond's name is Aether, and Paimon is... well... Paimon."

The Outrider pauses, "Doesn't sound like local names to me. And this... mascot, what's the deal with it?"

Aether chuckles at Paimon's direction, "Emergency food."

You let out a snicker as the fae whines, "Hey! That's even worse than being a mascot!"

"So to sum it up, you're travelling partners, right? Well, look. There's been a large dragon sighted around Mondstaft recently. Best you get inside the city as soon as possible. It's not far from here," The girl in red points to the nearby city with her thumb, "I'll escort you there."

Aether offers you a water bottle as Paimon inquires Amber, "Oh? Aren't you out here for some other reason?"

The Outrider nods as you uncap the lid and swallow water to ease the pain, "I am. But not to worry, I can keep you all safe while doing that, too. Besides... I'm still not sure if I can trust you three just yet."

Aether looks at Amber briefly before returning his gaze back to you, "That's a rather rude way to speak to guests."

Amber sheepishly replies, "Oh, ahh... I'm sorry. Probably not something I should say as a knight. I give you my apologies, uh... strange yet... respectable travellers."

Paimon crosses her arms and huffs, "That sounded so fake!"

The red girl turns to the fairy offendedly, "Do you have something against the type of language usage prescribed by the Knights of Favonius Handbook!?"

-

As you hike to the city (on Amber's trails), she interrogates you three, "So... suspicious travelers, what are you doing in Mondstadt?"

Paimon answers the young girl's question for you both, keeping note of Aether's and your distance from the Outrider, "Aether got separated from his sister during a really, really long journey. Y/N landed here for unknown reasons, and is trying to find a way back to their homeworld. Paimon is their travel buddy, helping them find their answers!"

Amber mutters to herself, "Looking for family and returning home... Huh."

Then, she turns around and beams at you two, "Okay! Let me finish my other stuff first, and then I can help you put up posters around the city," she then takes a look at you, discreetly, "In regards to finding your way home, I'm not sure I know anything about that, but I do know people that might be more knowledgeable with stuff like that."

Paimon tilts her head, "What exactly is it you need to finish doing first?"

Amber smiles, "It's simple. You'll understand in a bit."

-

"Ika!"

Paimon shrieks, "A hilichurl! Quick," She hides behind you and Aether, "Get it!"

After Amber shot the hilichurl, she turns to you three, "These monsters have been getting too close to the city recently. My task this time is to clear out their camp."

Aether summons his sword, "We'll help you so we can get to the city faster."

The young girl nods, "Follow me."

After some hack and slash, your group gathers up at the center of the once-infested camp, "Heh, nothing to it."

The Outrider hops off a hilichurl tower, "Though, I've gotta say, you two surprised me a little with your moves there. Thanks for the backup. How'd it feel?"

You shrug, as Aether replies, "Barely broke a sweat."

Paimon surveys the area behind you, "Now that you mention it, how is it that the hilichurls ended up here? These creatures don't seem like the type to set up camp so close to cities like this."

Amber nods her head in affirmation as you all follow her to the city, "Exactly. It's more normal for them to be much further out in the wilderness, but because of the dragon—Stormterror—has been around a lot more recently, our orchards have been destroyed and the local market has been affected as well. When the storms hit, we usually end up with at least a few injuries, so the Knights of Favonius have been tied up doing the best they can to defend the area."

As you reach the outskirts of the stone bridge, Aether spots a woman hunched over by a boiling pot, appearing to be waiting for the pot to do something. He nudges at you and points at her, "Look. We should talk to her later," To which you nod in agreement.

Paimon flies towards Amber, "So these annoying creatures have been getting closer and closer to the city?"

The red girl nods, "Exactly. That said, clearing the camp helped make the area a little bit safer."

She turns around to face you two, "Come with me! A responsible knight must make sure to see you to the city safely."

-

♡ Thanks for the reads!