Chapter 15

"Beatrice?" My brows tightened like never. I recognized the voice, it was very familiar and it took me back to a lot of memories. "Are you?" Loss of words, I uttered nothing more. My mouth hung wide open in complete surprise.

"It's me!"

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed. "How? How did you find my number? How is this happening? I-I thought—"

"You thought I would never find you? Well, I did." Her voice was full of cheer and it cheered me up more. "I found you, Eos. You thought you could run away from me? Never. It took a while. I got a little distracted with college and stuff but I traced you at last and found you."

"It has been six years..." I trailed off, remembering the last time I had met Beatrice. She was a close friend of mine but when I had to leave my old town, I had to leave her and everything else as well.

"Six long fucking years." She cursed in habit, as usual.

I let out a little laugh and shook my head in disbelief. How was any of this happening? Beatrice and I were childhood friends, we grew up in the same place, next to each other and went to the same school until six years ago, when we were parted and never to been seen again.

"Wow. I still can't believe it." For a minute, I forgot about the fact that having a conversation with anyone from my old town was dangerous for me. "This isn't secure, Beatrice. I can't talk to you." My voice lowered and a frown spread across my mouth.

I couldn't let them trace me.

"Don't worry, I understood everything the moment you left with your Aunt. It has been a while since I have been in Barnsley. I left after finishing school and for the past three years, I haven't visited. Mom moved closer to where I study now. It's safe for me to call you and be in contact with you." She explained, her tone clear and full of concern for me.

She knew what happened in our hometown, Barnsley, six years ago. My parents were murdered and the people who had murdered were going to come for me if I ever dared to visit the town. It was devastating to drop everything at once and leave but it was for my safety. I dared never to look back, even at my parent's death anniversary. As much as I wanted to visit their graves and set flowers, I couldn't, for my own sake.

"Oh," I sighed in relief. "That's a lot better to hear! You just made up my day by calling me, Beatrice." I sat back and a smile stretched over my lips.

"I hope I did! How are you?"

"Good." That was all? "Right now, I'm good."

"I'm visiting Frostford next week as I'm majoring in history and I've heard there is a lot of history in that town?" She was uncertain.

"A lot of it but nothing is public," I told her before she made her hopes high. I was glad to hear that she was studying further and getting a degree while I was doing everything to avoid studying again.

"Well, who cares? I get a chance to meet my old best friend and that's all that matters. I've

"I have been dying to see you for ages!" She exclaimed in delight.

"I suddenly miss you."

"I missed you too, for very long."

Beatrice and I had a small conversation, catching up on family stuff and a few more things. After the thirty-minute call ended, I send her my location along with my house address. She forwarded me hers and it wasn't too far from her. She was studying in the city, almost three hours drive away.

Once I finished texting her, I rushed back into the house to spill everything to Aunt Carol. I found her coating her lashes in her room and get dressed for tonight.

"Beatrice? That girl that threw rocks on my window every time I tried to sleep at your room?" She spun around, eyes wide and concerning.

I laughed heavily, "Yes!"

Whenever Aunt Carol visited us at Barnsley, she took over my room and I was forced to sleep on the couches. Beatrice hung around for several nights during one time and when the couch got tough on her, she threw rocks at the window just to trouble Aunt Carol so she could leave and let me have my room back.

"God. It has been a decade since I've heard her name." She said, spinning back to the mirror and applying another coat of mascara on her lashes. "She's coming here? When?"

"Next week, hopefully! I couldn't believe it either. I thought it was all over when six years ago but it isn't. She's coming, my best friend, my soulmate." I jumped in joy before wrapping my arms around Aunt Carol.

We made each other happy. Our years together in Barnsley were full of love and happiness. We didn't even know the meaning of gloom and sadness until we were separated and forced on different paths.

"Oh, I'm so happy for you!" She patted my arm. "Now, go on, get ready and take your medicine. We are going to leave in an hour."

"All right!"

I continued to squeak in joy while heading upstairs to my room to get dressed for the meeting at the town hall. On the 26th of every month, a meeting was held at the massive town hall where hundreds and thousands of townspeople came and attended. Many issues and complaints were addressed throughout the three-hour meeting.

It was usual of Aunt Carol to go every month and since the past couple of months, I went along with her to get a change of mind and get free wine through the evening.

When I stepped into my room, I headed straight to the dresser. As soon as I lifted my shirt, a gasp left my mouth. My stomach churned and my eyes widened at what I was seeing. The bite had disappeared, completely. There wasn't a bruise nor anything else.

It was gone.

I turned to my side to get a better view of my waist but even then, I couldn't see anything. There was nothing on my flesh, not even a faded bruise.

How?

Questions sped through my mind as I laid my hand over my waist. No pain. It had healed itself away. The wound seemed like it never existed. How?

"Fuck." I cursed at myself before letting my shirt fall back.

I reached for the medicines at the table and studied them as quickly as could. They were painkillers, nothing more.

"Okay, focus, Eos." I pressed my fingers against my head and closed my eyes. It was a bite and it was gone.

Was I supposed to be okay with it?

No.

But I had to. There were important things in life than to wonder where the bite had disappeared to and why it didn't leave a bruise. And most of all, I needed to be thankful that it was gone.

I cleared my head and took a warm shower. By the time I stepped out of the washroom, I heard the tiny droplets falling on my window. Peeking out, light rain wetted the street and my house. The clouds above thundered, lightening up the sky after every minute or so.

I peered at the sky and the moon captured my gaze. It was a waning moon that was going to be full in a couple of nights. I tried hard to look away from the moon and return to getting ready for the night but something held me back.

A strong force.

Something strong clawed inside me, something wanted me to be free, something wanted to unleash itself and come out. It was a strong feeling at the pit of my stomach that I couldn't ignore.

I stood by the window for minutes, unable to move even when I tried.

"You aren't ready yet, Eos?" Aunt Carol came into the room and folded her arms across her chest.

My body warmed to the cold air. I snapped out of the moment and turned to her. "I'll just get ready."

"It's been an hour." She frowned.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr