Chapter 18

I grabbed my clothes in hurry, wearing them as quickly as I possibly could. There was no time to waste. It had been more than an hour—since I disappeared. The voices from outside the room had dimmed, almost gone. The meeting was over, people were going home and Aunt Carol was probably waiting for me.

"I hope you don't have a girlfriend back in the city," I said with tension coiled inside me. What if he was married? What if he had children?

Men were great liars.

King laughed at my question while buckling his pants. "Is that the only question you got after I was buried in your cunt?"

My cheeks turned red in embarrassment. It was a slip of my words. "No, no. I just thought—I wouldn't want to do wrong with another woman." This was getting awkward.

I narrowed my eyes to my breasts and covered them with the dress I had worn again. My hands curled to my back, fingers hoping to reach the zip but there was no avail.

"Let me help you with that," He said while walking over to me and rushing his fingers over mine. The hair over my skin rose. I silenced down. When he touched my back, my entire body prickled and my sex throbbed. "And no, I don't have a girlfriend or a wife and I don't plan on wasting your time." The entire zip went up in a single stroke.

I held my breath in.

His fingers brushed against my neck. My skin turned cold as he tucked strands of hair over my shoulders. "I want to know more about you, Eos, everything if that's possible."

"Why would you be so interested? I'm just a commoner and well—" My eyes raced across him. He was wearing a suit that was ten times worth the dress I was wearing. The watch over his wrist was probably more expensive than the house I lived in. "You seem like a king."

"There is no way to explain this. You'll just have to wait and find out. What I feel toward you is something strong, it's different and it's raw. It's just not about the sex—although, that's complimentary."

I simply grew more confused.

He was interested in me for reasons I couldn't understand. Among all the girls he had met that evening, at his welcoming party, he chose me, he reached to me, danced with me, and now, we had sex.

It was supposed to end here.

Wasn't it?

I cleared my throat, brushing aside the negative thoughts that have grown in my head by being in a toxic relationship previously.

"Well, I hope to find soon about it." I said, straightening my back and moving his hand away from my body. "Until then, goodbye."

"I'll see you around." He winked.

My stomach clenched and a similar sensation spread between my legs. "You will." I closed my legs tight and walked out of the room before we repeated the previous hour.

Then the night wouldn't come to an end.

Surely.

I dragged my legs across the town hall. They wanted to return into the room where King still was. He left moments after I did and disappeared. I didn't bother looking back nor wondered where he had gone to.

"I was looking for you." Aunt Carol said as I stepped out of the town hall and onto the cold grounds of the driveway.

My skin froze and I shivered before wrapping my arms around my shoulders. She walked over and handed me my coat.

"Thank you," I said, wearing it. "And I got distracted by a friend."

For two hours?

An inner voice inside me spoke. I blinked and looked around, searching for the voice but it was inside me.

"Oh, that's alright. We should head home. A storm is to be expected later at night." She curled her arm around mine and we both walked to our car.

Many people were leaving, walking out and going to their cars. I glanced over my shoulders and found King leaving with the Mayor to his side. They both got inside a tinted dark car and that's when something clicked into my mind.

The car.

The tinted car.

It had been the same car I had seen at the cemetery weeks ago, on the same day I was attacked by a wolf. The car certainly belonged to King as he was the one driving it and not someone else.

My brows furrowed in complete confusion. It just occurred to me. The car was familiar and I had seen it just moments before I was attacked.

King supposedly arrived the next evening at the Mayor's house but he was already here.

No one knew.

He was in town before people knew he was here.

Why? Why was he at the cemetery? Did he see the wolf? Did he see me that night? Is that what this was all about?

"Everything okay?" Aunt Carol clicked her fingers in front of my eyes and snapped me out of my thoughts.

I took a raspy breath, hoping to control my racing nerves and thoughts. "Yeah, yeah, I'm good." I responded while looking outside the window.

There was so much mystery behind King Emerson and I wanted to know it all. My mind was blank, only occupied with his thoughts. It was as if the sex had placed a spell upon me.

Once we returned to the house, I stepped out of the car and went inside with Aunt Carol.

"I'm going to go take a shower." I announced, reaching to the stairs.

"I'm going to eat some leftovers and watch a movie." Aunt Carol said while laughing and walking into the living room.

I smiled and took a step up only to stop and turn around. "It was a good day."

Her eyes sparkled, "It was good." She nodded. "I'm glad you're doing better and moving on. Seeing you happy is all I want, Eos. Just keep doing what you are doing."

"I will."

I switched on the lights to my room and removed my clothes before hopping into the bath. The warm water and the freezing cold made the perfect mood for the night.

A small candle was lit over the bath, its scent spreading all around. I sank into the bathtub and relaxed my muscles. There was an ache in my lower back from the rough sex I had just had with King but it wasn't anything big to worry about.

The bite was gone, it seemed like it was never there. My skin was pristine, with only a few faded bruising here and there.

I traced my index finger along with the bruises he had given me. There were painful to touch but remembering what happened inside the room at the town hall only bought all those warm emotions out, again.

I splayed my arms and closed my eyes before lying back on the tub. The water flowed over me with a few bubbles here and there. The night was gifted with silence and peace.

Until horrifying images flashed through my mind. A wolf biting another, a puddle of blood, a bruised leg, a loud howl and a scream belonging to no one.

My bones ached and I bolted up from the tub, screaming at the terrifying pain spreading all over my limbs.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr