The Begining of the Divorce

When a child is a victim of divorced parents, it feels like their entire world is falling away. With each argument, they cover their ears and try to stay away. With tensions in the room becoming high, they leave before the shouting starts. Sometimes, the kid will do anything in their power to stop the fighting from even happening. 

Marlene couldn't say she'd been a witness to it personally, her father was dead before she was born. However, she felt like one of those kids as she sat down at the table. She could practically sense whatever Thaddeus Ross was about to say would lead something. Something that would cause disagreement, and something that could potentially leave her in a difficult position. The position to chose between her family members. 

From the head of the table, Marlene sat with her arms crossed over her chest. Steve sat to her left, looking up at the Secretary of State with undivided attention. Sam was on her right, with a similar expression to Steve. The rest of the Avengers also sat around the table, with the exception Tony and Pietro. Tony sat off to the side and Pietro stood with his arms crossed.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective," he said, speaking like a true politician. "The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

Marlene resisted the urge to roll her eyes. There will always be someone in the world that doesn't like you. You can't please everyone. If everyone loves you, there's something you're doing wrong. The way she sees it, you after to forge your own path, potentially stepping on someone's toes. Not to mention, with the Avengers being as famous as they are, there's always someone making them out to seem like the bad guy. 

Will Marlene say they never do anything wrong? Absolutely not. There is always something that will go wrong. 

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked, already knowing the answer.

"How about 'dangerous'?" He answered. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Marlene watched with shielded eyes as the events of different battles took place. New York. DC. Sokovia. Lagos. 

"Okay. That's enough." Steve interrupted as he noticed how effect Wanda was with the events unfolding on the screen. 

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision," Ross spoke, the images disappearing. "That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

He placed a document that looked like a textbook in front of Wanda, who pushed it over to Rhodey. 

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . ." Ross continued. "It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Steve spoke with a sense of authority in his voice just as he always has. 

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross questioned, causing Steve to meet his eyes.

"Handling things on Asgard," Marlene spoke, leaning forward, placing her elbows on the table as she did so. "It is Thor's kingdom after all, Secretary. Banner accompanied him, always wanting to see the mythical kingdom as well as believing he can be of help to Thor."