12

A/N: when I tell you things are about to be different, I mean they're about to be different.
___________________________________________

It was all different after that day.

Maybe it was something in the air that changed, dry, cold, and icy. Mid December wind snapping at anyone who dared cross it's path, a mean clash with all the warm Christmas lights littering London.

Going over to Zayn's penthouse became routine, whether Harry was around or not.

It wasn't quiet New Years yet, but Louis figured better now than never to make resolutions and keep them. Why stress over a distant old relationship that's been left to rot and mold back in five years ago when you could just relax and not think about it.

Not thinking turned out to be great for Louis. Thinking would have probably ruined Louis' birthday and the holidays as well. Yeah, not thinking was great.

"I told you guys you don't have to knock on the door, you can just come in." Zayn said, flopping himself into the corner of his u shaped couch.

"Zayn, you forget you're famous, you should really keep your door locked, you never know when a crazed fan or worse shows up." Liam mentioned, setting a bag of takeout down on the glass of the coffee table.

"Hey guys- did you bring takeout?" Harry padded quietly into the living room, grabbing a remote off the floor and flicking on the electric fireplace.

"Yeah, tried a new place this time though." Niall said, clambering to Zayn's recently new kitten, Mowgli.

Harry had wanted to name him Benvolio Seamus Black, which was, something at least, but Mowgli outvoted BSB.

Harry's eyes always lingered on Louis, and Louis' on Harry, their shared secrets quietly whispering across the ventilation of the penthouse.

It was simply all different.

It wasn't like how it was before, five years ago, it wasn't like home. But it was a sort of muddled comfort.

It was never more than kissing, never less.

Shared conversation, quiet glances, learning things both new and old about each other the same.

And each time they went over to Zayn's penthouse; "Hey I'm gonna go to the bathroom I'll be right back."

And not a moment later; "I'm gonna go get a blanket, it's freezing."

And then Harry and Louis around the bend of the hallway, secret set free.

"I missed you." Harry whispered.

"I was over here just yesterday." Louis smiled, Harry practically breathing on his lips.

They never talked about what was going on since the Christmas dinner party.

Harry pressed his lips against Louis' with a smile.

"Someday we're gonna get caught. Liam or Niall-" Louis started.

Harry shushed him and muttered on about making up for lost time.

The butterflies are no joke, and while Louis had voiced previously that he hated Harry's lack of explanation, he sort of found the sneaking around part almost rejuvenating.

"Hey- oh." Zayn stopped in his tracks, Louis ripping himself away from Harry.

"You know, I'm beginning to wonder if you two just come to my house to be able to cross paths." Zayn said.

"Zayn." Harry whined.

"God, I feel like a mum." Zayn laughed as Harry flushed red, "Am I embarrassing you in front of your crush- hey Louis, do you know Harry still sleeps w-"