𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲

𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐧, 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧, 𝟏𝟗𝟑𝟎

LONELINESS WAS A funny thing to Evelyn. She couldn't remember a time she ever felt so truly and utterly alone. Even as she stood to the side of the crowd that had come to pay respects to her husband, she felt more on her own than ever.

Most people of Small Heath would say that Evelyn was the most well put together out of the Shelby family. But if the same people were to see her now, they would most likely describe her as a walking disaster. Black mascara lined under her eyes and she hadn't had the energy to change out of the skirt she had been wearing for the last three days. She was completely shattered.

Evelyn watched as some of Alfie's best workers carried a simple pine coffin down the aisle of the synagogue. Her eyes glued to the wooden box that held her husband. A few of the men bowed their heads as they walked past her - her arms wrapping a little tighter around Julia who she was holding. 

"Today we gather to remember and honour the life of Alfie Solomons," the Rabbi began the service, causing Evelyn to immediately shut down. 

Tears overflowed as Julia was taken out of her arms by Ollie who was next to her and she was pulled into a tight hug by Matya. Nothing could've truly prepared her for this moment. Alfie was gone and there was nothing she could do about it. 

Evelyn stayed in Matya's embrace, even as everyone eventually made their way to the graveyard where her husband would be finally laid to rest. She watched as everyone gathered around, people saying their final goodbyes to the one and only Alfie Solomons- eventually, she knew her turn to say goodbye was next. With a final squeeze to Matya's hand, she picked Julia back up from a stressed Ollie and walked over to the coffin - turning to face everyone. 

"Alfie was one of a kind," she began, taking a shaky breath. "Truly, I don't think there will ever be someone on Earth who is quite like him. Some people don't ever get to experience a love like ours in their lifetime, and for them I feel sorry because it was the best thing to ever happen to me. I've never been so terrified of death, until he laid his sights on you, my love. 

For the first time in a long time, I have no set path to follow. No course to set out. When I find out what to do next, I hope that you - and Cyril who is probably overjoyed that you're with him again - guide me through it. I'll miss you forever. I'll love you forever. Until we meet again"

With that final sentiment, Evelyn turned on her heels and left.

~~~~~~

THE HOUSE ON Watery Lane felt cold and empty as Evelyn made her way to the lounge, dragging a bag behind her. Julia was resting on her hip, fast asleep - her little cheek squished to her mothers collar bone, tiny snores and spit bubbles passing through her lips. It had been a whole week since Alfie's funeral, and she was finding it hard to cope in London by herself.

Taking a seat on the familiar lounge, Evelyn breathed in a deep sigh - shutting her eyes as tears begged to fall again. Her head was pounding, chest tight as she listened to the sound of the front door open and close with a squeak. The sound of heavy footsteps echoed throughout the house, the person stopping once they reached the entrance to the room she was in. Evelyn could tell by the way the individual carried themself that it was Thomas.

"It was a lovely service, Eve," he spoke, voice quieter than normal. "He would've appreciated it greatly."

Evelyn let out a hum of recognition to his words, not saying anything as her brother took it as an invite to move to stand across from her - their eyes finally meeting. 

"You came to the service?" Evelyn eventually questioned, voice barely above a whisper to not wake Julia.

Tommy nodded in response, before pulling an envelope from his coat pocket, placing them on the table between the pair of them. Evelyn could see Julia's name written on the front in familiar messy handwriting. 

"He told me to also tell you not to be a snoop and read Julia's letter - you have to save that for when she's old enough to read it herself and, in his words, 'actually fucking understand what's on the page.'" Tommy explained, lighting a cigarette.

Evelyn let out an involuntary chuckle, "always so crass."

"Watch Julia take right after him when it comes to speaking," Tommy added. "Won't ever be able to escape it, you won't."

"It'll probably keep me sane, if I'm being honest."

The siblings fell into another comfortable silence, as Evelyn gently shifted to grab the letter - careful not to wake her daughter.

"You planning on staying here then?" Tommy questioned, eyes flitting to the bag on the floor by his sisters feet.

"The house feels empty without him. It's too big for just me and Julia, but has too many memories to ever think about selling it or renting the rooms. Thought we might be able to escape here for a while, everybody still comes and goes - it'll do me good to not be in silence all the time. At least for now."

"You can take back your old room," Tommy gently smiled. "I'm pretty sure Pol left Finn's old basinet from when he was a baby in the storage under the stairs, I'll take it out for you before I go."

"Thank you, Tom."

Evelyn watched as her brother stubbed out his cigarette, making his way over to the staircase - he got everything set up for his sister in her old room, taking her upstairs to see if she liked it.

"Pol says you're always welcome to stay with her. Now that Michael's has his own life, he's barely there anymore. I'm sure it'll do her some good to have the little one to fuss over."

"I'll think about it," Evelyn kissed her brother on the cheek before placing sleeping Julia in the crib. "I just want to be back home for now."

"Alright. Well the front door stays locked, like normal. Finn is out and about, but make sure he is home by curfew which is twelve in the morning - he's still just a kid but keeps acting like an adult. If he shows up with Isaiah, send the Jesus boy home - his father is worried about him and I can't keep up with the phone calls from Jeremiah every second day."

Evelyn finally let out a laugh for the first time in months, descending down the stairs after her brother as they made their way to the front door. 

"Nobody goes into the betting shop without your permission, once again, especially Finn. That boy seems to be letting whores into the place and almost getting his fingers cut off when he goes to touch them."

"I'll look after our Finn, don't worry Thomas," Evelyn began to usher her brother out of the door. "If he's late for curfew, I'll make it so he has to come home even earlier."

"You're starting to sound like a proper parent, my dearest sister," Tommy bellowed, loud enough for people walking down the street to stop and stare. "Don't let Arthur into the house either, he keeps fighting with his wife and staying here until she storms over to the house and bangs on the door with her bible - screams her bloody head off."

Evelyn only rolled her eyes, as she waved her hassle of a brother off. Waiting until he finally disappeared. A couple of people walking by waved to her, offering her polite greetings.

"Welcome back home, Miss Shelby," an older gentleman tipped his hat to her. 

Maybe she wasn't so alone after all.