fifty two

the three of you glance at eachother, and you can tell harry and ron really don’t want to go back and free the troll from where they had just locked it away.

but they'd endangered hermione.

now they've no choice but to help.

"harry, come on." you say, holding the handle and signaling for the chosen one to turn the oversized key. he does, and you, ron and harry charge into the toilet.

hermione is cornered beside the sinks, cowering in fear. she lets out another mortified yelp as she dodges a peice of ceramic flying in her direction as the troll runs his huge thick club through the sinks in the bathroom.

"distract it!" harry yells.

you nod and both you and ron begin to yell at the big dumb creature.

"oi! pea brain!" at this shout from ron, the troll is alerted to your presence.

it's distracted from hermione and stumbles in your direction and you back away with ron's sweaty hand clasped in your own whilst your eyes remained fixed on harry as he tried to pull hermione away from near the troll.

she stood still, her eyes wide and her mouth clamped shut. the girl was in shock, her body quivering and completely unresponsive to harry's efforts.

"harry, come on." you urge, and he tugs harder but to no avail.

suddenly, the troll is only a few feet away from you and ron. you slowly back into a wall and realise you are cornered- doomed.

then harry does something either very brave or very stupid. if someone asked you, you'd say they were the same thing. he jumps, clambering onto the trolls upper back and throwing his arms around it's shoulders.

harry's wand went right up its nose.

it's eyes went wide and it raised its club, thrashing it in the air and whipping back and forth to fling harry off.

"ron! do something!" you cry and he nods, clearing his throat and pulling out his wand.

"remember, levi-o-sa!" hermione squeaked.

"wingardium leviosa!" he shouts, and the trolls club levitates above its head before dropping straight onto it and sending it crashing to the ground with a great thud.

"harry, are you alright?" you ask, as he slips off of its shoulders and he nods.

"i'm alright."

the four of you study the troll as it lay passed out on the ground.

"is it dead?" ron asks and hermione shakes her head.

"just knocked out." harry adds, before reaching to grab his wand out of the trolls nostril, wiping its boogers on its trousers.

"that's disgusting." you say, your nose scrunched up.

suddenly, a ruckus of footsteps and the slamming of the door to the girls toilets makes your head spin in its direction. minerva, quirrel and your father appear all looking rather white and surprised to find you here. you hadn't told your father or the transfigurations professor what you were sure would happen tonight, something you also knew for certain you'd get an earful about in the evening.

severus leans over the troll and checks that it truly is, as you all assume knocked out.

thankfully, it is.

"i-" minerva stammers. "what on earth were you thinking of? you're lucky you weren't killed! why aren't you in your dormitories?"

snape gives harry a piercing look. he glares at the boy so hard he's forced to hang his head in shame.

you bite your lip.

you know your father would blame harry for your endangerment despite the fact that you'd put yourself there yourself and in fact gone out of your way to avoid being taken her safety.

"well? why are you here?"

"please, professor mcgonagall- they were looking for me." hermione speaks up. 

ron and harry look at her incredulously.

nobody notices severus grab you and do a swift and unnecessary medical check.

"miss granger!"

"i thought i could handle it on my own, so i went looking for it. i've read all about them you see-"

ron drops his wand to the ground. hermione granger was lying to teacher for merlin's sake.

"if they hadn't found me, i'd definitely be dead. harry stuck his wand up its nose and ron performed a brilliant levitation charm-"

ron's face matches his hair and harry's face pinkens slightly as minerva's gaze softens on the two of them in admiration.

"honestly, they didn't have time to fetch anyone. i was so close to being crushed by its club when they walked in."

"well, in that case..." minerva takes shuddering breaths. "miss granger- you foolish girl- how could you think of tackling a mountain troll all on your own?"

hermione hangs her head.

"five points will be taken from gryffindor house for your recklessness." minerva says, hesitantly. then she turns to harry and ron. "however, five points shall be rewarded to you each for well- i'd say you were lucky but not many first years could tackle a mountain troll and live to tell the tale."

the boys shine with pride.

"y/n." she turns to you. "why aren't you in your dorm? did you come looking for miss granger?"

"i-" you start but ron interrupts you.

"she did, professor. we couldn't have done it without her."

you blush. severus however tightens his grip on your shoulder.

"of course not." he snarls. "ten points to slytherin for her contributions."

ron's eyes widen, probably as he remembers your house rivalry. harry however, remains shy of severus' gaze and looks at the ground.

minerva and severus look to quirrel before making a non-verbal agreement.

"you all should make your way to your dormitories- the rest of the students are finishing the feast in there."

"go on, now." severus says to you, his voice sounding a little angrier than it usually does. (because it usually does.)

you all flock out of the bathroom and almost sprint down the corridors. where you split, you nod towards the three gryffindors and head back to your own common room.

it's no surprise to you, when serena bombards you with questions upon arrival.

your sure it's no surprise to her when you avoid them like hell.