Chapter 1

Soft footsteps had me wake up a little earlier than I always do. There's something about today but I couldn't tell what yet, I just woke up nonetheless. The door had been opened without the one behind it knocking. I had expected who it was though, dad's footsteps were recognizable.

"Happy birthday my not-so-little girl", dad said as he entered my room with a rose as red as one could be in his hand. Giving me a tight hug and a kiss on the forehead, he sighed. Handing me my rose, his eyes seemed more sad than happy. "My baby Sky is grown now."

I lightly laughed at him. "Good morning dad. You seem sad that I'm taking over, do you love work that much?."

My long awaited moment is happening today. I couldn't help but be impatient about it for days. As the strongest child of the alpha and his chosen successor, the title, along with the responsibility, will finally be passed down to me. I have so many plans for my pack and I couldn't wait to take over. Along with the ceremony today, I was slightly looking forward if I would ever meet my mate today, it's my first day as an adult after all, and it marks the start of my journey to find my other half.

"You'll be a very good alpha. Now do you last patrol as my little girl." He hugged me again and quietly sighed before leaving the room with me. "Happy birthday!" A soft voice greeted. Mom came out from the kitchen and gave me the same hug and kiss as dad did. "Thanks." I walked into the kitchen planning to make my own breakfast as I always do. As I opened the refrigerator, dad's hand gently stopped the door and I suddenly remembered something I shouldn't forget. "Don't remind me. I didn't completely forget." Closing the door, I raised a hand in front of dad so that I wouldn't get told how I nearly forgot about the fasting I need to go through that we had talked about just yesterday and the days before. As part of the ceremony later, the new alpha would need to fast from eating or drinking by midnight and shall only eat after the ceremonial hunt. With nothing else to do in the kitchen, or in any part of the house, I headed to my room and shifted.

Passing through my window, I jumped to lessen the force of my fall, aiming for a nearby tree and pounced my way to the ground. It was dawn and the birds were singing as I passed by the tall trees. I quickened my pace hoping that I wouldn't pass by any of our pack members, though it might be difficult. It would be nice to see friends and families, but today would already be hectic for me that I don't want so much people to be greeting at me every time I pass by or turn around. Avoiding the pack house and other places where everyone else goes to, I climbed the trees and went to the borders where Adrian and Connor should wait for me. I arrived and as expected, it was the other way around when none of the two showed up on time. This doesn't happen regularly, but it bugs me whenever it does that I sometimes think about replacing the two from being my Beta and Gamma even though Connor isn't officially Gamma yet, and Adrian has only been the Beta for a year. A scent of blood reached my nose, two heartbeats were getting louder as familiar wolves were silently nearing towards me. A dead hare fell to my side from above as Adrian's brown wolf and Connor's grey one, landed on the ground.

"Happy bloody birthday!" Connor greeted excitedly through our group mind link. They were wagging their tales mischievously while surrounding and trotting around me. "Look Sky, I'm being sweet and gave you a fresh, juicy breakfast. Wait, you can't eat." Adrian lifted the hare to my nose in a tempting manner. He was unsuccessful of course, I am not easily tempted, instead, I sat there thinking if I should replace them as my first order as Alpha. "Ade, it would be a waste to just let it decompose just because she can't eat. Actually we haven't had any breakfast right? Let's eat this fresh, juicy thing instead." Connor split the small hare in half before sitting beside Adrian that is in front me, to eat. "If I don't finish my patrol in this area before complete sunrise, my pack will have two wolves lesser in number, forever." I led out a deep sigh while closing my eyes, making my wolf smile afterwards. "What are you doing Connor? We don't have time you know." Adrian scolded behind me after I walked and took the lead. "You're right, I was gonna leave this to decompose, it's good for the plants you know.