XIII: Reconvene

During the time you spent with no contact from Diluc, you resorted to more training with Aether. Though whenever your session ends, you find yourself retreating to the place you rented quite often. Mondstadt just... reminded you too much of your parents, so you never bothered to join Aether and Paimon on their little adventures outside your usual regimen. In the first two days, Aether and Paimon had nearly dragged you out of the inn, but even then they were unsuccessful with their (several) attempts. So in turn, they just brought you souvenirs from their journeys. You did appreciate their effort in trying to get you out the house, but you just can't help but feel a little homesick.

One day, you wake up to find Paimon snoring at the foot of your bed and Aether laying on his abdomen on the bed beside you, his usual outfit replaced with a simple white shirt and brown pajama pants, "Oh? Are you not going out with Paimon today?"

He stuffs his head onto the pillow, "No. Don't feel like it."

You nodded, "Understandable. Do you want to talk about it?"

He hesitated, "I... I just miss my sister."

Ah, family.

You lean against the headboard as Aether rambles on, "I mean, don't get me wrong, I love your company and all... but things just feel so... out of place without her, y'know? We're literally yin and yang. We're twins, for archons' sake. There was never a time where we were separated from each other until now."

"We always got each other's backs. I wish she was here to comfort me like old times. That even when our world got... destroyed... we'll find a home in each other. But now that she's missing... Who do I turn to... to feel like home?"

You can feel your heartstrings get tugged from his words, "Yeah, when you walk around Mondstadt at the end of the day as people go home to the people they love, you'd feel so envious because they have someone to go home to. Watching them makes you feel so... out of place... in a place that treasures its connections so much."

You notice Aether quietly snivelling beside you but you pay no mind because after all, crying once in a while is good for your health, "Thank you, Y/N. At least I know I'm not alone... in being lonely..."

You chuckle, "If you put it like that, you make us sound so miserable." You get on your feet as quietly as you can without waking up the fae and walk towards Aether, climbing onto his bed. He looks at you with confusion but moves aside to make space for you nonetheless. You give him a side hug, hoping it would make him feel better.

"What do you want to eat later? I'll make us some food."

"... Pile 'Em Up would be nice."

-

"Y/N, Diluc asked us to gather at the Winery before noon. We should head out as early as possible."

"Alright, thanks. Just let me get ready and we'll head out."

Yesterday, you decided to go shopping for some... battle-appropriate clothes with Amber. Despite the mishap that happened the first time you two met, you actually hit it off quite nicely. After she saw you wandering around the plaza, you told her about your plan of getting new clothes. The girl was so excited, thanking Barbatos for the opportunity to hang out with you (as she happened to have the day off). Then, she dragged you from shop to shop, inquiring the salesperson in each shop about battle-appropriate clothing. You managed to buy at least four different outfits before retiring to the inn you stayed at. You thanked her profusely for guiding you around Mondstadt, to which she denies, saying, "It's only right I do that after what I did to you when we... first met."

So now, you're standing in front of the mirror, contemplating which costume you'll try on first. After asking Paimon to pick a number (with each corresponding to a specific outfit), you wear the outfit and do a little twirl to see how it looks in front of the mirror. The costume hugs your body perfectly, complementing your body type with ease—and not to mention, comfortable, too. Satisfied, you stuff your other clothes in your inventory, and exit the room.