XV: Easing the Storms

After defeating Dvalin, the platform around you begins to shake. A panic-stricken Jean grabs hold of Aether and Venti, while you scurry to Diluc, the closest person to you. The floor collapses, and he shields you from the debris as you fall into the hole. You shut your eyes, and bury yourself against the redhead, awaiting your doom.

We're going to die, I'm going to die! I haven't even seen mom and dad—

Just as you see your life flash before your eyes, you hear a thud, and feel something against your back, knocking you unconscious.

When you wake up, you can feel the calming breeze blow against your skin. You open your eyes and see Diluc tending to you, with Paimon shaking your arm. When she sees your blinking, she throws your arm a hug. You chuckle at her actions.

Further up the dragon, you inspect your surroundings. Aether is lying unconscious beside Jean, who has her palm against his forehead. You see Venti sitting cross-legged at the front. You can't exactly tell by his expression, but seeing his hunched back and his right palm under his chin suggests that things went well after the fight.

"It's been a while since we flew like this together, huh, Dvalin?"

A deep voice shakes the mass below you, "Just now, why did you not ask me to protect you like the last time?"

"Me not wanting you to listen to the Abyss Order doesn't mean that you have to listen to me. Freedom, if demanded of you by an archon, is really no freedom at all."

The archon removes his palm and lifts his hands up, a viridescent energy accumulating on his palm. It then spreads around the dragon, dissolving. You stare at him in awe, with Dvalin seemingly confused, "Is this... the power of the Anemo Archon? But I am no longer part of the Four Winds."

"Even if that's so, you still protected us regardless. Now, spread your wings of freedom and go with my blessing."

-

After Amber welcomes your trio back to Mondstadt, you assist in cleaning up the hilichurl attacks that had gone when you were off at Stormterror's Lair. She invites you all to eat the Sticky Honey Roast that she promised before, but since she had work to wrap up, she tells you to go on ahead.

Entering the city, you can hear snippets of some citizens' conversations about the ordeal. Many were glad that the situation had been resolved, although some weren't as happy—mainly the Fatui.

Your trio reaches Good Hunter, and you approach Sara to inquire about Amber's reservation as Aether and Paimon are chatting behind you.

"Greetings, may I take your order?"

As you open your mouth, you hear someone tut at you, "Why so cold? I've always thought that we enjoy quite the intimate friendship."

You jump back from the source, whipping your head around. The Cavalry Captain stares at you with a pout on his face and you roll your eyes at his childish act, "Don't go around scaring people like that, Mr. Kaeya."

He chuckles, "To bask in the presence of Mondstadt's new big heroes is quite the morale boost. And that's coming from a knight."

Aether walks up beside you as Paimon floats, placing her hands on her hips, "Sweet-talking sugar-coated Captain Kaeya..."

"Nonsense! I speak from the heart."

Aether turns to the eyepatched man, "What are you doing here?"

"Just looking for a quiet spot to collect my thoughts."

The fairy raises her eyebrow, "While all the other knights are working hard to clean up after the battle..."

Kaeya sighs, "Thinking can be an arduous task, you know. Believe me, I'd much rather be taking out the trash."