☔︎︎Chapter seventeen: Stained glass eyes and a wishing well☔︎︎

"Niklaus," I spoke softly gazing out at the dimly lit road as we arrived in Brno, it was a much smaller town than Prague and the snow wasn't as heavy here

"Yes." He responded blankly,

"Does your family live in Prague?" I ask him,

"My family is none of your business." He deadpans.

"It was just a question you don't have to be so defensive." I countered, "I just realized I barely know anything about you and we've been in the same house for a month now."

"That's quite deliberate, there's nothing nearly as fascinating to know about me I assure you." He mused with a knowing look in his eyes, "I don't take pleasure in talking about myself like my friend Rune here."

"I still don't know his birthday and we've been friends for five years." Rune affirms, "you have a better chance of convincing penguins to fly."

"I'll know you someday Nik," I whisper to him and I press my head against his playfully as my hair brushed against his.

"Perhaps." He hypothesized.

☔︎︎☔︎︎☔︎︎

I say I have to find a bathroom and crawl down a back alley to phone my father, he answered after a couple of rings.

"Evening Nadezhda." He says, "I'm busy, what news do you have for me?"

"I know how Rune Diedrich hacks government systems, and I know how you can block him out of hacking ours." I disclose and I hear him laugh if the other end,

"You really are your father's daughter, my intelligent girl." He says sternly, "tell me everything."

And I do just that before Rune and Niklaus catch up to me, I don't feel bad, I don't feel anything, all I know is that I want more than anything for papa to be proud of me.
Anything it takes.

The shop in that cascade of early moonlight was a place for chance and fate to dance. It was the kind of shop you often pondered about, that you felt the soles of your feet gravitate toward, as if in there upon a shelf was a piece of your own life-puzzle. It was old, but it was wise and the town square was lively tonight.