Chapter 14

The pressure in the air was enough to make a man's lungs collapse, it was hard to breathe at all.

Everything that's happened up to now, the losses and knowledge over the course of what felt like a few weeks but became months. Why were they on top of this?

Their investigation had reached its climax but at what cost?

The three in the investigation room were silent as Owada grit his teeth in anger, a single tear slipping down his face; Both Naegi and Kyoko were silent.

Naegi didn't realize just how much he was shaking, sweat dripping from his brow and landing in the cup of tea he left on the table.

'No, That's not possible.' He thought to himself, gripping the table as Kyoko pressed a button on her phone, Naegi's tracking device collapsing and hitting the floor while he shakingly touched his bare neck.

"Hah, this isn't ri-right. It's a mistake or an error. That's all." He was now laughing at himself, fiddling with his smartphone as Alter ego repeated the same phrase over and over.

"Junko Enoshima."

"That explains the funds, at the very least we need to keep this between the 3 of us and maybe even Togami and his unit. We can't act with haste or we'll die." Kyoko explained her analysis of their situation as Naegi fell to his knees, hazel eyes staring at the ground.

"Makoto, what's wrong?" The female asked, resting a hand on his shoulder.

"It can't be true, I won't accept it." He whispered to himself, unconsciously pulling Kyoko in closer, wrapping his arms around the one that laid on his shoulder while attempting to compose himself.

It felt like a fever dream to Naegi, the worst possible scenario that was just a dream he needed to wake up from and get on with the day, but unfortunately, reality didn't wish to see it that way which only made his heart sink lower.

With every thump of his heart, it was like small tinges of pain that couldn't be helped.

"I understand how you feel right now, but don't think about it like that. There was nothing you could have done at that moment, it's okay." She replied, lacing her fingers with his while her eyes filled with concern and her face sprawled with a slight tint to her cheeks.

Meanwhile, the former member of the Crazy Diamonds cleared his throat, slamming a fist onto the table as he was no longer restrained.

"You gotta be fuckin' with me, that chick can't be behind all this. I mean, surely that little thing you whipped up is in a beta stage, right?" He grunted, glaring towards the now frozen detectives.

Naegi swallowed hard, grasping onto the table as he held onto Kirigiri before letting go once stable.

"Probably, in any case; I might be able to reason with her if we meet again. It's like Hope and Despair are drawn to one another." The brunette muttered to himself, grasping at his hair after wiping his forehead with his sleeve and taking shallow breaths.

"I guess I'll stay here unless you need manpower," Mondo replied, cuffing himself and shuffling back towards his cell as the pair were left alone.

Breaking the silence, Naegi did what he'd thought would get him killed at first.

Kyoko felt arms wrap around her waist as Makoto laid his forehead on her back.

The sound of suppressed sobs fell from his lips, mumbling curses as he felt a gloved hand stroke his head softly.

All of this was out of character for the both of them as Kyoko finally spoke up.

"You wish you could have turned her in and got her to speak for the rest of those who've been killing lately, let that self-hatred go. It will only control you if you don't. But most of all, it'll be alright." She continued to run her leather-covered fingers through his hair before quickly breaking apart and clearing her throat.