Chapter 4 - The Balcony

"Finally, you're here! What took you so long?" Amelie asked as she saw Félix walking towards her on the ballroom's balcony.

"This is a ball, Mother. What do you think I was doing?" Félix replied sarcastically like it had not been obvious.

When that girl had asked him for another dance (which he had strangely found cute), he had seen his mother's intense glance at him on the other side of the ballroom, meaning that he had to appear to the king. So his mother had to see that he was dancing. Félix, knowing his mother's thoughts too well, knew that this question was rather focused on who had been with her son.

Amelie, ignoring her son's sarcastic response, stepped closer to him.

"I've just talked with Gabriel. I can't tell you much about our plan yet but just know that it's gonna be beneficial for both of our families. And the kingdom, too." she said excitedly. "Just act like a real gentleman tonight, please. Don't disappoint your mother."

Félix did not even react to his mother's words as he had heard these warnings before.

Instead, his eyes searched for a certain someone, looking down from the balcony. He immediately spotted her on the left side of the ballroom. She was talking with another girl. But she seemed to be.. frustrated? The girl was throwing her hands up and down effectively like she was telling that other woman something horrible.

Félix could not tell why but he hoped it was not because of his sudden leaving. He did not want to end their dance like this and he was sad about it too. There was just something about this young woman that astonished him. He did not know what exactly but she just seemed so natural and sweet, not like the other ladies, he always saw at these balls. He even found it adorable how her cheeks turned red whenever she felt embarrassed.

It reminded him of Ladybug whenever he said something flirty to her. She always laughed nervously while her cheeks became like roses. He loved that he had this impact on her.

His thoughts immediately wandered towards his lady. Their next patrol would be tomorrow night and he could not wait for it. Now that he was back, they could meet more often.

He liked this opportunity.

From his thoughts, Amelie's taps on his shoulder brought him back.

"I see you're not with us tonight. Is something bothering you, son?" her mother asked with a nervous tone. "You know that this ball is held for you for a reason! You have to be perfect tonight!" she added.

Just before Félix could answer, they saw Gabriel walking towards them.

"Ahh, Félix! Or should I say, Prince?". the king asked, stopping in front of him. "Nice to have you back!"

Félix gave him a bow and without any emotions appearing on his face, he greeted Gabriel. "Félix would be just enough, Your Majesty. And yes, it's nice to be back after all these years." he continued, trying to convince the king that he was indeed "glad " to be here.

After Amelie gave him a silent push, he added: ".. And I wanted to thank you for this ball. It's such an honor. The event is truly magnificent." Félix said, forcing a fake smile on his face.

He hated these small talks. The urge from his mother to pretend that he was really enjoying this and that he was thankful to Gabriel. He respected him as the closest friend of his family, but as a king, he thought low about him. Félix did not like the way he ruled their kingdom. During their patrols with ladybug, he always saw the starving people on the streets. Although he was taught not to see and feel emphatic about these people, it always put a wound in his heart.