Part 2

Sana's P.O.V. 

I left the court and my belongings were returned to me. "Your mother has taken back the car," the officer said to me. "So, how am I supposed to get to that home?" I asked. He walked to the police Jeep and opened the door. "Not again," I said complaining hard. "Fine, you can take the front seat," he said. "Really?" I asked with a little satisfaction. He nodded. "Jeez you are not so bad afterall," I said bubbly as I got inside. He came to the driver's seat and started it. "Are you married?" I asked. "Why do you want to know?" He asked. "General knowledge," I said. "Yes. And I have two children," he said. "What's your wife's name?" I asked. "Helen," he said. "Goan?" I asked. He nodded. My phone rang and I frowned looking at Mom calling me. I was so angry, hurt and disappointed with her that I decided if she couldn't answer my calls when I needed her most, I will also ignore her call willingly. "You should answer the call. I know how much you were dying to speak to your mother," he said. "Yeah but one thing I know for sure is that she isn't dying to hear my voice," I said looking out the window. "I didn't know that this attitude filled girl had emotions," he said. "Sometimes I become a normal human," I said smiling. "Be the normal human more," he said. "Excuse me? No! Listen, mister, you can't tell me to change myself," I said sternly. Looking at him, we both burst out in laughter. "How did you know I was joking?" I asked. "I am a police. I can judge people," he said. "I just wanted my birthday to go well this year," I said. "A day is what you make of it. Try to make your day go well and it might turn out better than you expected," he said. "Oh please! Keep this philosophy away from my head. That judge ruined my entire day. This is the worst birthday I ever had," I said. 

"We're here," he said and stopped the Jeep. Looking outside, was this alright looking building with a huge garden behind a huge gate. "We got out and I looked around. It was relatively empty with little to no other buildings around expect for a small doctor's clinic and some variety stores. There were like five houses for the most and some men outside selling vegetables in their carts. The officer took out my luggage which I had packed for my trip. With all my five suitcases of clothes, shoes and makeup, I entered with him. The place looked very peacefully, too peacefully. No one was outside. "Where is everyone?" I asked. "They must have gone to the temple," he said. "We entered a small office area where a middle aged man was seated, behind the desk. "Sharad, I have come to admit this old lady here," the officer said jokingly. I looked at him with my mouth opened. "Oh hello! Who the hell do you think you are calling an old woman? Do I look old to you?" I yelled. "You are one year older today than you were yesterday, right?" He said. "Ok ok, I'm sorry," he said. "I know. I got the order from the judge," he said, "Don't worry, we will make sure that she completes her sentence here. She wouldn't be able to step foot out of this building before twenty-eight days." This merely made me feel trapped and scared. "I will come in between to check," the officer said. Turning to me, he smiled and said, "Happy birthday." He left the officer and was walking out when I ran behind him asking, "Am I going to be trapped here for the full twenty-eight days? Can't I atleast go out?" "No," he said as he continued walking. "But what if I need something?" I asked. "Looking at the size of your suitcases, it doesn't seem like you will fall short of anything," he said. "Ouch!" I exclaimed. "What happened?" He asked stopping. "I twisted my foot yesterday in the cell. It's paining even more now," I said standing on one foot. 

"Take my advice. Wear some flats. You will be more comfortable," he said. The pain made me irritable as I looked at him frowning angrily. "Come, I'll take you to the doctor," he said. He helped me outside the building and to the same doctor clinic I noticed earlier. I read the name on the board, 'Dr. Sidharth Shukla.' Sounds like an old man. I went inside and saw a young girl. "Is Sidharth in?" The officer asked. Does this man know the entire city? He knew the man at the home, he knows the doctor. "No, but he will be here shortly," the girl said. "Ok. We'll wait," he said. I looked at the chairs and asked the girl, "Excuse me, are these chairs properly sanitised?" She looked at me silently and then at the officer. Looking back at me, she nodded with a smile. I looked at the chair properly and sat down. My phone rang and taking it out, it was Abhi on video call. Answering it immediately, I had to tell him my situation but he started with his question, "Sana, where are you? You said that you will be back. Our plan didn't work out?" "It was working out until..." I said and turned the phone to the police officer. "Where are you?" Abhi asked. "In Amritsar, in some stinking doctor's office," I said. "Are you ok?" He asked. "No. I spent the night in jail. This morning I appeared before a judge and do you know what he had the audacity to do? He sentence me to twenty-eight days of community service! A damn twenty-eight days! This is the worst birthday ever! And I hate Mom," I said going on complaining. "What did she do?" He asked. "She deliberately ignored me when she knew that I needed her the most. She always does this!" I yelled. "Hey! Keep your voice down. If you don't have respect for the situation, atleast respect the place," Tripathi scolded me. "What will you do? Put another charge on me? Extend my sentence?" I asked. "Sana," Abhi said, "Calm down. I'm coming to meet you."