A Shower of Stars

"Let's run away."

You breathed out a warm exhale against his neck. You wanted to. You really wanted to. But you your abuela could be in danger. And as much as you were frustrated with him, you couldn't leave your father.

"We can't run away, Camilo." You quietly said.

"I know," He mumbled, locking his hands behind your back and pressing you close to his chest. "I can't leave. I wouldn't. Things are crazy back home."

"I wish we could. I want to get away from all of this," you admitted. 

He frowned. "Okay. Let me rephrase that." He pulled away and hopefully studied your face. "Let's run away just for tonight. Let's pretend we're never coming back."

You smiled. "I like that." You roughly chucked a pillow at Camilo. "Hold this."

"Hey!" He protested as it slammed into his stomach. "What was that fo-" You shot him a skeptical look. "Fine, I deserve that. I was mean."

You grabbed another pillow and a blanket and placed your hands on either side of the window. The rain had stopped.

"Let me go first, it's kind of unsteady." Camilo shouldered himself around you and climbed down. He held the ladder, securing it, and flashed a quick thumbs-up.

You followed him down and felt the dewy, soft grass that brushed your bare feet. Camilo unnecessarily offered you his hand and you softly laughed, sliding your hand into his. "Such a gentleman," You jokingly gushed.

Camilo's cheeks slightly blushed and he hurriedly explained, "Your father would kill me if you didn't come back in one piece."

You lightly kissed him on the cheek and Camilo blinked, flustered. He held the back of his neck with his free hand and stammered, "So, uh, where do you wanna go?"

It was funny to see him get flustered. You'd never made him blush before. You pointed to the cliffs that surrounded the Encanto and laughed. "If we're running away, let's go all out."

**********************************************************************************************

The hike was excruciatingly long, but the view from the top of the cliffs was worth it. 

A peaceful darkness painted the miniscule houses. Tiny lights floated in the village, and overhead, a million silvery stars dusted the night sky. 

From up there, the village and its troubles faded back, insignificant. It felt like a heavy mountain lifting off your chest.

You rolled the blanket over the grass. Camilo lowered himself next to you, your shoulders inches away from touching. 

"I'm sorry," Camilo suddenly said.

"For what?"

"You know what," Camilo exhaled, crossing his arms and fixing his gaze out on the village. He couldn't look you in the eye. "I snapped. I yelled at you. That's not okay."

"Camilo, it's okay. Really," you futilely tried to console him, hugging your knees to your chest. 

"No. It's not," He insisted, getting upset. "I- I didn't even ask for your side of the story. Abuela said that you'd just been using me to destroy the family. I shouldn't have believed that." 

It was his abuela. Of course it was, you indignantly realized. You respected her resolve to protect her family, but needlessly lying to Camilo? You couldn't accept that. 

The dim glow from the candelit village softly reflected on Camilo's conflicted frown. "Of all people, I shouldn't be acting out like that." 

"Of all people?" You curiously asked, confused about what he meant.

"I'm a shapeshifter," Camilo spat out his gift as if disgusted by it. He gave an unsettling, wry smile. "I can choose to be whoever I want to be, and... I think I'm choosing wrong." 

"Oh," you quietly responded, unsure how to comfort him. 

Camilo flopped his back onto the blanket, watching the sky. "I mean, if you could be anything, how would you even pick?" 

You felt the poky crunch of grass against the blanket as you leaned back with Camilo. "I have no idea." You confessed. "I mean, if I could be anything..." You suddenly felt bold. "I'd want to be yours." 

"Aw." Camilo snickered. Your eyes were fixed on the dark sky, but you could almost feel his smirk. It was weird, but you didn't hate it anymore. 

"I think I'd rather be anyone but me right now," You honestly confirmed. I'd be someone your family doesn't hate. Someone trustworthy enough to hear secrets.

"Hey, you see the stars?" Camilo extended his hand upwards as if dipping his fingers in their swirling glow. You reached up and placed your hand next to his in the midnight sky. Camilo intertwined your hands and whispered, "I think you make them jealous."

"No way." 

"No, it's true." He pointed to a twinkling, pristine star. "That one especially. It was the brightest thing out here until you showed up." 

"Okay, stop," You giggled, rolling your eyes. You curved onto your side to face Camilo, resting your chin on your arms. 

"Yeah?" Camilo's smirk was back as he rolled onto his side. "Make me." 

And suddenly the air between you was sparkling with magnetic adrenaline. You couldn't look away. You didn't want to. Camilo's breath accelerated. His deep eyes were nervous but focused. He slid his hand firmly around the nape of your neck, drawing you closer. 

You closed your eyes and parted your lips softly, your heartbeat pounding with anticipation. 

And he kissed you. Underneath the glistening shower of starlight, he kissed you until you couldn't even remember your own name.