We're Jinxed - Chapter 11

TW; Throwing up, violence, very slight gore

Jinx remembered a lot from her and Natalia's years spent together.

She remembered the way Natalia laughed when Jinx told one of her stupid jokes and the way Natalia so intently looked at her when she was showing off one of her latest gadgets or tricks. Jinx remembered how Natalia would accompany her along all of her stupid adventures, be there with her to deal with the consequences of any ridiculous idea Jinx had materialized into fruition.

But Jinx also remembered the difficult things. The times Natalia spent curled up in her room, sobbing the night away, only thinking about the family that broke her heart beyond repair. Or how she so tightly clung to Jinx in those moments, burying her face in Jinx's neck, as if Jinx would get up and walk away at any moment.

And Jinx knew that feeling like the back of Pow Pow's holster. She knew all too well the paralyzing fear in Natalia's eyes at the thought of being abandoned again. It was haunting, terrorizing, an ominous dark cloud containing a storm that only followed her wherever she went, never breaking— just being.

But Jinx felt different in those moments than how she usually did. There was no Mylo to hound her and berate her, no intrusive thoughts to scratch at her brain like insects fighting their way through the crevices of floorboards, nothing. Just the quiet solemnity and aching inside of her from seeing the girl she so deeply cared for in pain.

So she would only bring the girl closer still, brushing away her tears —as Natalia so often did for her— and promising she wouldn't let anything happen to her. That she would never leave, either. And Natalia would lean into her farther, and Jinx would feel every overwhelming, exploding emotion she thought she'd never feel.

Every single one of those moments, when she'd looked into Natalia's broken eyes, which stared so fondly back into her own, she'd wanted to kiss her.

She wanted to tell Natalia with every part of her that she would never, ever let anything take her away. And she'd wondered how Natalia would react to that promise, how it would feel to have her pressed against Jinx in an entirely new way.

But Jinx never had.

And it was now, at this moment, when Jinx was sitting atop the beams of the bridge leading to Piltover, waiting for her moment to strike, that Jinx was pondering this. She wondered if she had actually done it, somehow, some way, Natalia would still be with her now.

Maybe, in some impossible scenario, she would have been able to keep Natalia closer, that way.

Jinx sighed, the exhaling breath turning into a tormented groan at the thoughts that swam in her head. It was a never endless stream of "what-ifs," of "if I had done this."

I broke my promise, Jinx hung her head in shame, in frustration. I let her get away two times. I'm sorry, Nat Nat.

But she was going to rectify that mistake right here and right now. Whatever happened when they all appeared, whatever went down, Jinx's main objective was bringing Natalia home.

Vi, ultimately, can make her own decisions. Jinx reluctantly bit out the thought. If Vi wanted to find Jinx... she would. For now, Jinx needed to focus on the one person who had been there for her.

When she spotted them —Ekko, Vi, Natalia, Caitlyn— all together walking in unison, she couldn't help the jealousy forming like a cold ball of ice sitting in the pit of her stomach. But she didn't blame Natalia, not at all. It was the topside apologists who had filled her friend's mind with the false promises of equality and justice.

So instead of immediately taking action, she watched closely, ignoring the digging pain in her chest when she watched as Vi held Caitlyn tightly to her. Out of nowhere, Mylo spoke up.