Chapter 15: hockey

Adrian Casey

On our way!

"Oh boy" I whispered to myself as I anxiously sat on my bed waiting for them to text me that they arrived at my house. I know this wasn't the first time I had been around all of them, but last time they were all in my house where I could dictate where things went and I was in the comfort of my own home, I could just go up to my room and stay there if things went bad, this time there was no escape once I stepped out of my house.

I really had no idea how tonight would go. I've been to my fair share of hockey games in my life so this wasn't new to me, but hanging out with anyone my age was something I had to relearn. I wasn't a social outcast, because it's not like the public exiled me or anything, I chose not to really talk to anyone, but now I would have to find a good medium in between keeping to myself, and opening up enough so things aren't awkward or I kill the mood.

I was wearing my brother's red Utah hoodie, with black jeans and vans, obviously supporting the better team of the two going head to head tonight. I haven't been to a hockey game in quite some time, though my family used to go all the time when I was younger, it was hard to find a time when I was free and a game was going on at the same time, but tonight seemed to be the perfect fit.

Here

"Be nice. That's all you have to do, and just have fun goddamnit. You barely get any days off, don't let him ruin it for you" I said to my reflection in the bathroom mirror as I gave myself one last pep talk before walking out of my house.

Making my way down the stairs and out the front door, Luke's car was parked right out in front next to the sidewalk. The three other boys were already in the car, so we were ready to head down to Salt Lake City now.

"Do my eyes deceive me? Adrian Casey is coming out with us tonight?" Michael joked as I approached the car.

"I know, I can't believe it either" I replied, shrugging my shoulders and opening the car door.

"Woah, woah woah" Ashton said, turning around in the passenger seat to look at me. "What. Is. That." pointing to my sweatshirt.

"What is what?"

"That" he said, pointing at me again. "That sweater. What are you wearing?" shaking his head in disappointment.

"Aw man. Don't tell me you guys are all boulder fans too" I said before Calum and Michael turned to look at me covered in Utah merchandise.

"God no. Utah all the way baby!" Calum said, sticking his hand in the air for a high five which I returned.

"Thank god. You two also bet against Hemmings tonight?" I asked as I hopped into the car sitting closest to the door, with Calum in the middle and Michael on the opposite side.

"No, did you?" Michael asked, leaning forward so he could look at me.

"Yup. Ten bucks says Utah wins" I smiled looking back at Michael, fully confident I was going to take Luke's money.

"What, no fair. I wanna bet against Luke too" Calum said before reaching his arm forward and tapping the blonde on his shoulder saying "I'm putting ten on Utah too."

"Calum we aren't betting" Luke said as he quickly turned his head around to look back at Calum.

"It's okay Calum, he's clearly not confident enough in his team to put twenty dollars on the line" I said looking at him through the rearview mirror, knowing exactly what I was doing.

"Fine, fine. Michael, you wanna get in on this too or are you good?" Luke asked while rolling his eyes.

"I'm always down to take your money, count me in."