«chapter twenty-three: walking a thin line»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

When we got to the tent, I felt my heart drop.

They added the net by request of Nightwing, but the drop was still enough for me to freak out.

"Listen, are we sure they don't need a ring leader or something," I run a hand through my hair, "I think that's more of my speed, you know?"

Nightwing crosses his arms over his chest, but his eyes shine with amusement as he says, "They already have a ring leader."

Right, Haly.

I open my mouth but he cuts me off, "And don't even think about hurting that poor old man."

"He's not that old," I grumble and cross my arms, looking away from him and back at the ladder, we have to climb. My eyes shift to the swings attached at the top. "Who even came up with no net acrobatic tricks?" I say staring uncomfortably up at the two thin boards that are supposed to support both Nightwing and I.

  "No clue." He hums as he switches his gaze between the boards and me. My eyes meet his and he sighs. "Listen, you can do this. It's no different from what we have been doing since we were twelve." He says as he attempts to reassure me.

  "No, it's not," I say, shaking my head. "When I am out on the streets, I can move my whip, I can pick where to go..." shaking my head I point towards the ladder, "Up there? Everything stays still and-"

  "And you have to depend on me." He says, cutting me off as his eyes fill with understanding.

  My eyes meet his, my own fill of worry. I don't try to deny it, it's the truth.

  An awkward silence fills the air as he reflects on what he just learned.

  I've never shown him any form of fear for myself before until today and now he knows why. It's not because I think I can't do it. It's because I am terrified because I won't be the only one I have to depend on anymore. I know I won't let myself get hurt, I will be there for myself, but will he?

  He turns to me, putting a hand on my lower back as he starts walking us towards the ladder. "Trust me; I wouldn't let you fall." We stop at the ladder and he faces me, his eyes staring into mine as he adds, "I promise."

   Something in my stomach does a twist at his words, his actions, his stare, his touch. Him.

  I step away and wrap my arms around myself, before looking back to the ladder.

  "Okay." I agree before saying, "But I want to fall first."

"Wha-"

  "I want to fall first. I want to fall and feel the net catch me so I will know I will be okay. And when we take the net away, I will just keep pretending like it's there." I explain but don't wait for his response as I climb up the stairs of the ladder. "Are there any pretty ways to fall to your possible death?" I ask looking back at Nightwing when I am halfway up the ladder.