xlv. don't cry

CHAPTER XLV
don't cry

NEW YORK, USA — 2024

"HEY, sorry we're late."

As Happy spoke, he forced himself throughout the backstage doors, holding a large pay-check within his hands, along with a bright smile on his face.

Noah walked in from behind Happy, also pushing himself throughout the double doors. He steadily closed the doors behind himself as he entered.

Not too long ago, Noah had promised Peter that he would go to this homeless support event. Just to give Peter some confidence and encouragement, of course.

But, Hugo couldn't drop Noah off at this event as he was too busy with work. So, Happy had offered to give Noah a ride to the event.

And now, they were both late.

Both Peter and May stood before Happy and Noah, both of them glancing over at the duo who had just walked on in, their attention being grasped onto.

Slightly startled by Happy and Noah's presence, Peter unmasked himself, his shocked expression becoming much more joyful.

"Happy, Noah!" He would greet. "Hey!"

Happy stopped within his tracks, still holding the massive pay-check within his two hands. He gave himself a few moments, looking at the woman before him with slight surprise.

Noah paused right beside Happy. His teeth grazing against his bottom lip as he shot a friendly smile at Peter and May, his head slightly lowered.

"Oh, you look lovely." Happy would suddenly compliment May.

"Thanks." May replied. "You too."

"Thank you." Happy said. "New dress?"

"Uh, yeah." May told. "Yes, it is."

Peter and Noah were immediately confused by all of the sudden flirting and complimenting that was going on between Happy and May. They awkwardly glanced over at each other, then glaring over at May and Happy.

"It's a new beard." May noticed.

"Uh, my blip beard." Happy explained. "Because I grew it in the blip. It's a blip beard."

"I see." May laughed.

The two teenagers couldn't bare themselves, only being able to cringe. They wore disgusted and concerned expressions upon their faces, still glaring between the two lovebirds.

"Uh, anyway, so, the reason we're late is because this was misplaced." Happy got back to the point. "Can you believe it? It's enormous. I mean, not the amount, the size."

As he spoke, he slowly handed the printed-out pay-check over to May, looking down at the massive piece of paper.

May took the pay-check within her hands, glancing down at it with a bright smile upon her face, slowly nodding her head as Happy spoke.