3.9

[3.9]

Desert

The ship was destroyed.

After hours of work in the sun, the bizarre creature attacked it and shred it to pieces. It came after them, and Asami quickly took Rae hand and dragged her away. They ran in the sand, away from the fish like creature. But the worst was already done.

Asami started talking about building a sandsailor from the scraps of metal that lingered the sand, and Rae nodded enthusiastically at the idea, earning a few glares from the crew.

"Why aren't you helping?" asked one of them, pointing his finger at Rae angrily.

The woman, not knowing they were talking about her, said nothing. The man grew angrier and approached her, but before he could jap his finger in her face, Korra stepped in.

"She's blind," said the Avatar with a sigh, "she may be an earthbender, but the sand is obscuring her seismic sense. Stop accusing her and get back to work."

Like before, Rae sat in the sand, waiting for the others to finish. She played with the sand below her, letting it run though her hands. She could sandbend a little, but due to her state, it was hard for her to do it. Still, she made a small fist of sand float in the air.

When the sandsailor was finished, Asami led Rae to it. She let the woman sit down. During the whole trip, Rae could feel the small vibrations in the wood and metal. She felt them leap in the air and dodge the attacks of the creature that found them again. When the sailor came to a stop, Rae sighed. She was the first one to step out of it, and when her bare feet touched the solid earth, she let out a relieved gasp. She smiled softly when she left the rough pebbles and stones beneath her fingers.

However, her joy was interrupted by the presence of four familiar footprints. Korra and Asami passed her, and the woman followed them after cleaning her hands on her trousers. They entered the tavern and walked towards one of the tales. Rae smiled when she felt her mother's continuous foot taps.

"What are you all doing here?" asked Korra, looking at her father, Lin, Iroh and Lord Zuko.

Tonraq raised his head at his daughter's voice and embraced her, expressing how concerned he was. While Lin glared at her daughter, Iroh got up from his seat and walked towards Rae. He hugged her, surprising the young woman, but she melted in the embrace when she realized it was him. Lord Zuko watched with a warm smile the interaction.

"Yeah, we made it out of the desert," said Korra, "all thanks to Asami."

"Do you remember Lord Zuko?" asked Tonraq after he nodded at the nonbender. At the mention of his title, Zuko got to his feet and bowed at Korra.

"I met you when you were a very young girl," said Zuko, "it's good to see you again, Avatar Korra."

"it's good to see you, Lord Zuko."

"Thanks for ditching me back in Zaofu," said Lin with a glare.

Rae cringed while Korra said, "Yeah, sorry about that. But how did you all find us?"