Chapter 17: a personal attack

Adrian Casey

I tossed and turned, trying to make myself comfortable in the sea of blankets I found myself drowning in as I reached for my nightstand to grab my phone and check the time. Barely opening one eye enough to see the time on my phone.

Mid yawn I read the time, and put my phone back down on the table flipping over to face the other side of my bed. "Oh, it's only ten-thirty" I whispered to myself as I closed my eyes again, embracing the warmth, but they shot open immediately as I quickly sat up. "Oh my God, it's ten-thirty."

I was never one to sleep in, I liked getting a headstart on the day and I was already a few hours behind schedule. I had gotten home late, but that wasn't what caused me to sleep in. I've had late training nights before and I still was able to wake up early and repeat the cycle again the next day. I stayed up all night, haunted by what happened, or more of what didn't happen in Luke's car last night. Encapsulated in the darkness of my room last night finding myself laying in nothing but silence, my thoughts were running wild.

I begged myself to stop overthinking and just brush everything off and forget about whatever even happened but every time I closed my eyes and desperately tried to escape these thoughts by falling asleep, all I saw were those bright blue eyes trailing from my eyes down to my lips. It was almost as if I were having an out of body experience, I could see this all happening in third person and I wanted to scream at myself to never have pushed his stupid face into that ice cream.

I threw a pillow over my face and groaned into it, completely disappointed in myself. I figured that I could distract myself for the rest of the day by focusing on school work, so I pulled myself out of bed and walked over to my desk slumping into my swivel chair and opening my laptop.

I was very productive as I knew that if I took any sort of break I would find myself somewhat spiraling again and I couldn't afford to waste another second thinking about last night. Shaking my head to get rid of those thoughts I turned my face back to my school work and started typing an essay I had been putting off.

I spent the whole day tucked away in my room hitting the books and finishing up assignments, even completing work that would be due the following weekend. Before I knew it, it was dinner time and my dad was calling me downstairs.

"Been working hard up there?" he asked as I appeared in the kitchen to find him filling up plates with steak, mashed potatoes, and asparagus.

"Yeah, I figured I might as well get as much work done as I can today so I can focus more on training next week before Aspen." taking a string of the grilled asparagus off of a plate and taking a bite out of it.

"Nice, well could you take these over to the table for me" he said while shoving two plates of food into my hands.

I walked over to the dining room and put the plates down on top of the placemats that were already set on the table, then walked back into the kitchen to grab the last two plates. When we both came back into the dining room my sister and mom were already seated, waiting for us to sit down and start eating. My brother Brandon moved out last year so it's only been the four of us. Mikayla stuck around because staying in Park City meant she was close to the ice rink.

I cut into my steak and stabbed it with my fork, bringing the piece up to my mouth, when my mom started asking me how my night went.

"So how was the game? I heard we won last night!" my mom said, taking a sip from her glass that was filled with red wine.

"Yup! And Michael, Calum, and I all bet ten dollars on Utah against Luke so he lost thirty dollars last night so that was a major plus" I said, picking up a piece of asparagus and taking a bite.